How do I get ITV Digital/Sky upstairs and downstairs

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Tracey, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I' hoping one of you will have a simple answer to this question! I have one STB and subscribe to ITV Digital, what I want is to be able to watch all the channels either in my bedroom or downstairs. I don't want to watch different channels at the same time (I'm not that stupid) but I just don't want to have the cost of buying another STB. What I'm hoping is that I can watch a satellite channel downstairs or upstairs, BUT I want to be able to change channel from either room. Is this possible? Surely all I need is some way of getting the infa red signal on the remote through the ceiling?

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a Digisender from Argos for £79. It relays your remote control to the STB too. But, if like me, you are forgetful and don't remember to take the remote upstairs with you, you may want to buy a "one 4 all" while you are there!

The picture quality is very good, the stereo sound is good but seems to lack bass.

The benefit of Argos is you can always take it back, no questions asked, if you don't like it.

Philips do something similar but it costs over £120. I've only seen that on QVC tho'.

DaveP

3. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave that sounds like just what I'm looking for. Presumably I'd also have to have some sort of scart splitter & ariel splitter so that I have that connected to the tv upstairs too?

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The box comes with an adapter that connects between your STB Scart lead and the STB Scart socket. You wont need to worry about the aerial lead unless you want terrestrial analogue TV

DaveP

5. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds perfect, although I must point out I've got ITV Digital which as far as I know (even with my limited knowledge) runs off the ariel, but even if I do need to run an ariel cable upstairs that's not a problem.

thanks again, as luck would have it, I got some Argos vouchers for Christmas so I think I'll be spending them this weekend!

Tracey

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to confuse you Tracey, the ITV Digital box stays downstairs (assuming that's where it is) with the aerial plugged in the back. The Digisender transmits the composite video and stereo left and right channels that come out the Scart socket on the back of the STB to a box that plugs into the Scart socket on the upstairs TV. Note it MUST have a scart socket or the cost goes up!

The box that connects to the upstairs TV picks up the remote control signals and sends them to an Infra Red transmitter that goes on the front of the STB down stairs.

The upstairs TV doesn't need an aerial.

I hope this is a bit clearer!

This is the link http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/comme...&prodList7=&prodList8=&prodList9=&prodList10=

DaveP

7. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that's prefectly clear, I understand how it works now, sounds like a really good gadget and no extra wires either!

Tracey

8. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mention ITV digital but also mention satellite.........!!
    If you are using Sky digital the other way of doing it is to use the 2nd RF and then get TV LINK........you will have to run a cable to the upstairs..........and you will not have stereo or widescreen switching.........but if it's not a widescreen TV or stereo/pro-logic TV this won't matter.....!!

9. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just go mine from ebay for £8 - you can buy them with a spare sky remote for £15

10. slay

slay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got a Digisender to - best money I spent in a long while, bought 2 extra recievers so I can view in kitchen and computer room as well.

Highly reccomended

11. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    slay

How much is it for an extra receiver? I will have 2 spare TVs when my new TV is delivered next week so I will need 1 extra receiver.

cheers

12. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone considered running a Scart cable from the Sky/NTL Digibox to the tv upstairs/in other room. In my case I'm thinking about either getting the Argos Digi-Sender or a 20 Meter Scart cable (note - the cable costs £120). I'm not really bothered about changing channels upstairs. Anyone have any thoughts about this ? Surely the picture/sound quality will be better with the Scart cable ??

13. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rather than spend £120 on such a cable consider somethhing like the Keene svideo distribution box

http://www.keene.co.uk/system/keene.htm

Go to adapters & connectors then multipliers. This way the signal will still be good.

I have run composite & RGB for 10 meters with no problems, but there must be a point of where the signal can't hack it.

14. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing I have noticed with these Digisender type products is that all of them seem to only work with Sky Dig and ITV dig. They say they do not work with NTL digital does anyone know why. My new house that i'm hopefully moving into next month is in an NTL area and we have a militant residents association that it seems don't want dishes on the estate :(
    I have 2 TVs upstairs and there aren't any aerial sockets up there and the digisender would have been perfect.

15. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At a guess i would say that Sky/ITV have RF signals which are picked up by the digisender.....NTL being a cable feed may be different (fibre optics)......thats the only thing i can think of.......

16. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Digisender and it works by taking the composite video and the stereo right and left channels from the Scart TV out socket. It should work with anything with a standard Scart socket be it DVD VCR etc.

I suggest js that you get one from Argos and try it, if it doesnt work they will give you a full refund within 16 days.

DaveP

17. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave, that is probably the best thing to do.

18. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    'It won't work with NTL' - this simply means the remote contol won't operate NTL via the sender, but it will certainly send the pic and sound OK.

19. Boney

Boney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run a 50 feet SCART cable from the top (3rd) floor of my house to the lounge. I bought the cable from Keene Electronics for about 50 quid and soldered the ends myself (never again though) after the builders ran the cable before the walls were dry lined. RGB picture quality is just stunning as if it were on a 1 metre cable. I use a pair of Powermids for remote control which work flawlessly.

20. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Simon

I can handle it without the remote working. There was a time when I was a lazy git but not anymore :D

21. colled

colled
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason it won't control an NTL box is that the Pace box uses IRda for it's remote signal rather than standard infrared and IRda is not supported by these digisenders.

22. Jingy

Jingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Common,

Where on eBay did you see the Digisender, I can't seem to find it, been looking for ages.

23. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I was reffering to the TV link @ £8 on ebay not a digisender

thanks

24. GOODMAP

GOODMAP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some PACE NTL STBs use irDA rather than IR for remote infra-red control function. The digisender is compatible with IR but not irDA so that is why it will not work in some cases.

If you live in an ex-Cable & Wireless network area then you mist likely have a PACE 1000 or 2000 STB which uses irDA.

If you live in an NTL only area then you may have a PACE 4000 STB and this uses IR.

This is a problem that all TiVo owners have had to be aware of and more information can be found in the TiVo Uk forum...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb

Hope this helps.

25. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257