How do i get HD Satellite please?

barker196

Standard Member
I have no satellite equipment and am about to sign upto Freesat taking the £100 instalation from Comet and buying the Humax HD box.

Before i take the plunge i'm wondering if i am making the right choice. What i'm interetsted in is getting some HD pictures and don't want a sky subscription.

I would like sme more info please on getting live footy via a satelite receiver from foreign channels. I take it this can't be done through the Humax?

Are there any receivers i can use to get HD pictures and premier league games from foreign channels?

Many thanks in advance

bluesteel

Novice Member
right deep breath here
STOP RIGHT NOW
do not and i repeat this do not buy freesat if you are looking to watch football in HD . Barring the occasional england game and the fortnightly at best CL game there is zero football on freesat.
What you need is a motorised dish, a good HD box and either a hobby card/cam or a subscription to a foreign provider

they are very very knowledgable on there and will happily answer any questions you have
I personally recommend the technomate 6900, for picture quality and ease of use.

Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

I know nothing about football, but is there ANY premier league - or other - football in HD other than on Sky?

lovelldr

Yes, plenty. One of the best subscriptions for this is probably canal digital nordic...

Jaycee Dove

Novice Member
Canal Scandinavia is the best non Sky service if you can afford it, Some games have English commentary also. The main Sky games and occasional Setanta games in HD too, I believe.

Sky in Italy also show premiership in HD and other sports not in HD yet in the UK (eg baseball via ESPN). But being Sky you can imagine the subscripton.

I think you need an official HD decoder also which adds further to the price.

barker196

Standard Member
Thanks for all replies. I've been spending some time researching and now know a bit more than before.

So...

Am i correct in thinking if i fit my own motorised dish connected to a receiver such as the technomate 6900 pointing at the Eurobird/Astra 2 satellite i will be able to see all the freesat channels including BBC1 HD and ITV HD?

Also i'm not keen on a subscription to watch live football (although this may change at a later date). I want to see as much for free as i can (credit crunch looming). Are there many other channels i can pick up for free? Particularly HD, or would i have to pay to get these?

Thanks for your.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom