1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get Dolby Digital?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by simonrad, Mar 27, 2005.

1. simonrad

simonrad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can someone confirm my suspicions, I am just setting up my system, can't get the processor (DSPE 800) to switch onto Dolby Digital, it is only showing Prologic.

I have not yet bought a digital coax cable for connecting dvd to av for sound and am just using cheap red/white phonos (analogues?). Will this be the reason why? ie when I get a co-ax will I then hear Dolby Digital? If so can anyone recommend a cable for the job not too pricey?

thanks

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You've got it exactly right. If budget is a problem then you could just use a standard analogue interconnect between your amp and player. Otherwise check out one of the forum sponsors or Mark Grant in the power buys section for a decent selection. :)

3. simonrad

simonrad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers eviljohn2, you've helped me a few times now - appreciate it! can you tell me about the Mark Grant cables, are they digital only, should I also be looking for a better interconnect bewteen my processor & amp to improve sound?

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    :blush: I do seem to be spending a lot of time online at the moment when I should really be working.

Mark Grant's cables are as good as you'll get anywhere and are much cheaper than some. You can find them in the "Power Buys" section at the top of the Cables forum.

I wouldn't worry too much about what cables you use for what, a simple coaxial cable with RCA connectors at each end will fulfil most needs. There's no need to spend a fortune either, just make sure that you get some that are well made, obviously this is where the freebie ones fall down but there's certainly no need to spend a fortune on cabling in my opinion. :)

5. simonrad

simonrad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks again

6. simonrad

simonrad
    Standard Member

Products Owned: