Question How do I get devices to connect to the nearest acces point?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by daveb975, Jul 20, 2015.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I have an Apple Airport Extreme right at the front of my house and an Airport Express at the back of the house to extend the network. The Apple Airport tool indicates they are working properly.

I noticed that I was not getting much wireless signal at all on my iPad yesterday even though I was sitting next to the Airport Express. When I checked this, it confirmed that it was connected to the Airport Extreme at the other end of the house and obviously struggling with this.

Should devices connect to the closest access point automatically, or is this something I need to set up? My iPhone seems to do this anyway, but other devices do not.

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,755
    It's Wi-Fi Myth #2 that client devices are "always hunting for the best signal" - in fact they do not and there's good reasons why not which I'll not explore (unless you want me to.)

In the realm of SOHO gear (and the Wi-Fi standards) it's the client devices that decide if/when to roam between AP's. Some devices offer a degree of control over "roaming aggressiveness" (some laptop NIC's do) but if your client device doesn't offer such controls, then you're in the gift of the device designer as to when/if it roams and there's nothing you can do about it.

For roaming to work at all, the SSID's of the AP's need to be the same (so the client regards them as belonging to "the same" network.) If the SSID's differ, the client won't even try to roam until it looses connection completely. It's also a good idea to ensure the AP's aren't using the same or similar Wi-Fi channels.

3. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Thanks. I have definitely got them both with the same SSD, but I'll check the channels.