How do I get an internet connection through 2 floors of a very large old building?

FlexiPack

Standard Member
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice please on how to get an internet connection from the basement of a very old and large house up through two floors to the first floor. I know wifi would seem the obvious choice but I'm concerned that the old building will have thick walls and floors and the Wifi signal may not be strong enough.

It is for my friend's wedding, she wants to be able to broadcast her wedding via video over Skype for her father to watch who is too ill to attend. It would mean the world to her if she could do this.

The venue is an old national trust house, the only internet connection they have is in the basement and they don't currently have Wifi. I have spoken to the wedding contact at the venue and she is willing for me to try connecting a Wifi router. She doesn't know if their internet connection is ADSL, cable or something else but she is going to find out for me. My friend has already tried using a 3 mobile broadband dongle but she couldn't get a signal.

I am thinking that Wifi is the only option. Is there a way we could extend the range of the wifi signal on a low budget? I did wonder whether a pair of HomePlugs would work but I think I recall reading that they only work with a ring mains electrical system?? I know nothing about electrical systems but I would've thought due to the size of the house that the venue isn't a ring mains system.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

t72bogie

Novice Member
they will work if the ring circuits go back to the same consumer unit ...as most do in residential properties

get a couple of 200Mbps ones and stick them in your back - they should come with 2 patch leads, one goes in the basement near the router, one goes 2 floors up and then you plug into that one for streaming etc

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
I was going to suggest something similar - long RJ45 terminated cable connected to an Access Point (rather than repeater).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom