Question How do I get AirPlay to work with my Yamaha RX-V6A / TSR-700?

I just can't figure this out. Every other feature I've tested works. I've tried to set it up in Home app, and just trying to send something through AirPlay to the receiver, but the receiver never pops up for anything. I don't see a lighted AirPlay symbol on the receiver display, but not sure if I'm supposed to either.

I would try to just AirPlay to the TV that the receiver is plugged into via ARC, but for whatever reason, the TV can't be in two users' Home app, and my wife uses it more than I do, so I don't want to strip her Home app's setup (if that makes sense).

Receiver is on latest firmware.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Simply select the AV receiver via the device you are wanting to stream audio from using Airplay. The AV receiver will automatically switch itself to this source and the Airplay connection.

Does the AV receiver appear on the iOS device in the Airplay streaming option for the app you are using on that device?

Airplay is a push service instigated by the source and not a selectable source you can invoke via the AV receiver.

Simply select the AV receiver via the device you are wanting to stream audio from using Airplay. The AV receiver will automatically switch itself to this source and the Airplay connection.

Does the AV receiver appear on the iOS device in the Airplay streaming option for the app you are using on that device?

Airplay is a push service instigated by the source and not a selectable source you can invoke via the AV receiver.

No. No AirPlay-compatible content shows the receiver in the list from any device.

We use AirPlay regularly, so we know how it works. It's clearly an issue with the receiver or me not using the receiver correctly. I tried using the MusicCast app as well, but it's unclear how to use that.

edit: We got one app to work from my wife's device, but that's AirPlay to our TV, not the receiver.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Airplay is a means by which content is conveyed wirelessly and not a format.

Select the AV receiver via the device you are streaming via. The device and the app on it would both need to be Airplay compliant.

If using MusicCasr then the MusicCast app would need access to theaudio you want to stream.

What is it you are wanting to stream using Airplay, what device are you wanting to stream from and via what app or source?

You say you used it to stream to the TV. Was this by anychance the mirror feature associated with Airplay? If trying to stream video then noye that AV receiver's don't fascilitate this and you can only stream 2 channel audio to them via Airplay.

Gotta select AirPlay as the source. I didn't see it in the source list before. Maybe it needed a reboot. The manual is pretty useless too.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
No, you don't select anything via the AV receiver. As I said, Airplay is a puch service and instigated by the soyrce devicvepushing the content out to the AV receiver via the Airplay protocol. All you should need to do it select the AV receiver on the source and the source will then push the content being played out to the AV receiver. THis is limited to 2 channel audio as far as the AV receiver's implimentaion of Airplay is concerned.

If you were on the otherhand using Bluetooth then yesy, you'd have to set the AV receiver to Bluetooth before the AV receiver would show up as a destination on the source device, but this isn't how Airplay works.

Page 135 from the RX-V6A's owners manual:

by default 2021-01-20 at 10.57.53.png

It is simple because that is basically all there is to it. Apple themselves do go into more depth though:

Note that as I stated, your AV receiver isn't able to handle video streamed via Airplay.

Last edited:
No, you don't select anything via the AV receiver. As I said, Airplay is a puch service and instigated by the soyrce devicvepushing the content out to the AV receiver via the Airplay protocol. All you should need to do it select the AV receiver on the source and the source will then push the content being played out to the AV receiver. THis is limited to 2 channel audio as far as the AV receiver's implimentaion of Airplay is concerned.

Note that as I stated, your AV receiver isn't able to handle video streamed via Airplay.

Nothing worked until we selected AirPlay as the Input on the receiver. Any new devices that we'd like to AirPlay from require the receiver to be on the AirPlay Input. Once you do that, the source device will successfully switch the Input to AirPlay. I'm not saying this is how it's supposed to work, just that this is the only way we were able to get it to work.

Our TV has AirPlay, and are now able to get it working that way. I'm unsure what changed, but we had to reset HomeKit several times.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Your AV receiver isn't in compliance with Apple's own guidelines for the implementation of Airplay then. This is not how Airplay is supposed to work and isn''t how Yamaha previously implemented it onboard their AV receivers.

I can make my RXA1050 automatically switch to Airplay by simply selecting the AV receiver onboard the device playing the audio. There's no need to set the AV receiver to its Airplay source manually prior to using Airplay.

The same goes for my LG C9 TV which is Airplay 2 compliant.

MichaelSD

Novice Member
Somehow when I setup the receiver on Friday I got airplay to work. Then today, trying to get it to work I get no sound. The album art and time show on screen and the seconds advance. But no sound. So far I’m not sure if it’s the receiver that’s the issue (confusing menu) or the new LG nano cell tv

dante01

Distinguished Member
Somehow when I setup the receiver on Friday I got airplay to work. Then today, trying to get it to work I get no sound. The album art and time show on screen and the seconds advance. But no sound. So far I’m not sure if it’s the receiver that’s the issue (confusing menu) or the new LG nano cell tv
You'd be sending the audio from the source device to the AV receiver if using Airplay and if you selected the AV receiver as the device to send said audio to. The TV plays no part in the reproduction of the audio.

Westcoast Bill

Novice Member
I'm late to read this, but just wanted to add how it works for me from a macbook (audio only) to my Yamaha receiver that has airplay2. I found in the above apple support reference an additional item just for macbook which works for me (even turns on my home theatre system):

Stream audio from your Mac with AirPlay​

To stream audio from your Mac to your Apple TV, HomePod or AirPlay-compatible speaker:
  1. Make sure your Mac and speaker are on the same Wi-Fi or Ethernet network.
  2. Go to Apple menu  > System Preferences > Sound.
  3. Under Output, select a speaker that you want to stream audio to. If you select Show volume in menu bar, you can quickly change the audio output by clicking Volume
    macos-big-sur-volume-status-icon.png
    in the menu bar.

Smurkenstein

Bit of a necropost here, but I had a similar issue yesterday - the amp was visible and connectible in airplay but would not play! I rebooted the phone and now it all works as it should. It an iPhone 11pro on iOS 15.1 and V68 on the 1.48 firmware.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom