How do I get a test tone to hold while using a db meter ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by phil r brown, Mar 19, 2002.

1. phil r brown

phil r brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Silly question I am sure... but having spent all the money on the system and new tv, I now want to be sure I have the speakers ( kef eggs and sub ) set up correctly.... using the amp ( denon 2802 ) test tone and my ears is ok, but reading the threads I was convinced a db meter is the way to go ( got a digital one from Maplins £49:99 ).

But how do I get the system to send out a constant test tone to each speaker, for a long enough period to use the meter ?? ( test tone from the amp cycles round the speakers too quickly ).

Please also clarify... most threads seem to indicate I am looking for 75db from each speaker ( maybe a bit more from the sub ) is it as simple as this ??

If anyone can be bothered...a step by step guide to using the db meter would be great !!

Many thanks Phil

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    Hi

In the Denon onscreen set up menu you should have the option Channel Level. When you go into this you start the manual test tone option and "Fuel Gauges" will appear on screen each one corresponding to the relevant speakers FL, C, FR etc etc

Hold the Sound meter roughly where your head would be at the listening position, Set the Meter to C-Weighting, SLOW and hold the meter either pointing straight up or at an angle of 45 degrees towards the ceiling (pointing above the centre speaker as it were). DONT point the meter at each speaker.

Start the test tone and then balance all the speakers inc the sub to 75db. The sub you can adjust for individual taste as some people prefer a bit more bass, others less.

Hope this helps

Cheers

3. phil r brown

phil r brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow that was quick.... only just sent the question and here is an answer !!

Many thanks Jase, I will give it a try tonight.

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,458
    i'll be trying this soon, when i get me hands on a SPL meter, bit difficult in dublin.

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mjn,

Have you tried hagars they should be able to mail you one, got mine here, digital spl £39.99........;)

6. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    I have heard that the analogue one is easier to use (and cheaper - about £25 IIRC) than the digital. Having only used the analogue version I can't confirm if this is true or not - the analogue one is certainly easy to use.

Cheers,
    Liam

7. Phil Brown

Phil Brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hm... made a mistake in original message... my amp is a Denon 1802 ( not 2802, wishful thinking I guess ).

Now although I,m happy with the amp it doesnt have some of these goodies.... no onscreen display to the tv... and no channel level "manual" test tone.

Tried all sorts of options around set up etc, and although I can set the speaker levels on the amp display to 0, +1, +2 db etc.... I can find no way of getting a constant test tone to each speaker ( I do have a test tone button on the remote, but that cyles round the speakers too quickly to use the db meter ).

I think the answers I will get now will suggest I invest in one of those 'set up' dvds ( ie Video Essentials ) ?

Can someone confirm that these DVDs do have the ability to send a constant test tone to each speaker ( for long enough to use the db meter ) ?? and also suggest where can I buy one of these ?

n.b. I do have Star Wars Phantom on DVD, and as suggested from previous threads went and found the THX optimisation section on the DVD, unfortuantely there is no test tone there either... shame !

Many thanks Phil

8. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Agreed... and the analogue one is more acccurate so they say

Taz.:cool:

9. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    Video Essentials certainly does - and you can always do A-B Repeat so that it plays for as long as you like.

Got my copy years ago, so I don't know the current best/cheapest place for it, sorry.

Cheers,
    Liam

10. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
  11. phil r brown

phil r brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the sites Jase.... however, one seems to be US and the other Australia, do we know of anywhere in UK either of these can be purchased ??

Rgds Phil

12. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    Phil

Not that I´m aware of (someone else may do though). I got my AVIA disc direct from the USA, came through in a couple of weeks.

Ezydvd have a good reputation and are also pretty speedy considering they´re in Oz.