• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How do I get a good lipsync test from a sky box?

SonicTPA

Novice Member
I've a new Samsung F6740 TV and my Sky box and Sony Bluray are connected to a Pioneer Amp by Hdmi which goes to the TV by Hdmi.

My previous TV was a Sony LCD and I was happy with the lipsync. However, on changing to the Samsung, the lipsync is way out. (It seems to be a common problem for this tv)

I've been trying to change the delay settings, but trying to do it while watching a sky channel to judge people's lip movements is really difficult. There are some good lipsync test videos on YouTube (which work fine on the tv itself) but I need to play something like that from the skybox.

Obviously I can only get tv programs onto the sky box. Any ideas on doing a good test from the sky box?

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Maybe I'm not understanding the problem fully but I've adjusted the Digital Audio Output Delay on my Sky box in the past by putting the volume up on both my TV and the surround sound amp simultaneously and then adjusting the Digital Audio Output Delay until no echo is heard.
Apologies if I've misunderstood your question.

:)

SonicTPA

Novice Member
I used to do that too - when I had an hdmi from the sky box to the tv and an optical out from the sky box to the Amp.

But now it's just an hdmi from the Sky box to the Amp and I can't get sound out of the tv and the amp at the same time.

Unless there's a way that I haven't found?

neilball

Is the Sky Test Card video still available? This is an interactive video and audio test card which has a sound effect/video sequence that makes it easy to set up lip sync, as well as the usual video test patterns and audio settings to help test your Sky setup.

Lee

I remember the HD Sky test card which was presented by Myleen Klass. It used to appear in the on demand section for short period.

Maybe contact sky and ask them if they can put the test card into the on demand section.

John

BBC used to have a test card too, with a bleep and flash for syncing, iirc. they would be worth a try. They might still have it when local news is shown on BBC1

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom