How Do I Get 5.1 Output (not DTS or DD) To My Amp

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by space--coyote, Aug 26, 2006.

1. space--coyote

space--coyote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Just finished building my HTPC this week and I am very happy with it, although I do have one little issue and it is just a little issue.

I would like to be able to output 5.1 from my sound card through my aging Sony STR-DB925. I have a Toslink cable from the HTPC to the amp and DVDs and Divx/xvid play with the appropriate sound tracks, ie the amp recognises a DD or DTS output and switches accordingly.

The problem is when I do the sound test from my sound card; it only outputs through the left and right speaker and even though I have it set for a 5.1 setup, the other speakers are silent.

I guess this is because it is not outputing a soundtrack format my amp actually knows what to do with?

I was considering running cables from the sound card ports to the relevant input ports on the amp, but wondered if there was an easier way of doing this. Can anyone please advise?

2. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. space--coyote

space--coyote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks, I'll take a further look at ac3filter.

Already using it to decode Divx and Xvid soundtracks, but will take a look for the regular 5.1 too.

Thanks for your reply.