1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I format a MMC to FAT16?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by danwalton, Jun 23, 2005.

1. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Hi all, I'm really stuck here. I need to format a MMC to FAT16 because the MP3 player in my car can only accept FAT16. I use Windows XP and I know this wont let me format to FAT16. Is there a piece of free software I can download to do this for me because its driving me crazy. I've searched everywhere for one. Any help would be gratefully recieved! Thanks, Dan

2. bydandie

bydandie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    FAT16 is a file allocation table format for hard drives. Is what you are talking about? Forgive me if I am being ignorant, but this doesn't make sense, why would an MP3 player require a microsoft hard drive format?

3. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Virtually all removable media uses the FAT format, because it is simple, common, and had no license fees (MS has threatened to charge but I don't think it ever did).

Trouble is XP doesn't let you choose, under a certain size its FAT12, another size FAT16, and any larger FAT32.

Try this link: http://www.mager.org/mkdosfs/ - its the utility for formating to FAT under linux, this is a windows port of it. Not tried it myself but it should do the trick.

4. bydandie

bydandie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Not stricly true, FAT12 is for floppies but FAT is used due to low overhead of the FAT as opposed to the Master File Table (MFT which is used within NTFS16 and NTFS32.

XP uses FAT32 nativley due to it's support within the FAT for 32-bit addressing and hence larger disks space without the need for translation.

XP will allow you to format in FAT (FAT16) as opposed to FAT32, but the question still remains, why would you need to change an MMC app into FAT16 for an MP3 player?

5. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No it won't. The format applet in XP (certainly Pro) will only format 'big' things in FAT32 or NTFS.

As to why an MP3 player would need FAT16 rather an than FAT32. That is it's own answer. It needs it because it needs it, just because it implements FAT16 doesn't mean it implements FAT32.

My camera is the same, it only takes FAT16 - by the way, have you checked to see if your MP3 player can format the card?

6. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I thought on XP....

Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management

Then find your card right hand click, Format, Choose FAT as your file system and adjust Allocation Unit Size from Default to 16K.

I'm sure I did this to an MMC card for my Aldi MP3 player which only accepted FAT16 cards.

7. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    thanks alan, i tried that but it didnt work :( my mp3 player can't format the card unfortunately, and will only play off a FAT16 card. Don't ask me why tho! So, any more ideas? Thank you!

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,892
    You should be able to do this from a command prompt using the /FS:FAT option to force it to format to FAT16. See here for more information about formatting from the dos prompt.
    Note you must specify the correct drive letter (volume) otherwise you may format something you don't want to !!

9. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Thanks John, but unfortunately I am a complete novice and have never used dos before. I've studied the link you gave me but to be honest it means nothing to me. I'm ready to give up really, I thought there'd be some software that would do it for me but obviously not. Thanks for the help anyway! Dan

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,892
    All you need to do is bring up a command prompt by going into All Programs/Accessories and then run the format command, but first of all make a note of the drive letter that is assigned to the card in the My Computer view
    the format command may be something like@
    format z: /fs:FAT then press return
    Where z: should be replaced by the drive letter that you see in the my computer view. So if it's drive F the command would be
    format f: /fs:FAT then press return
    it is very easy, just be sure you specify the correct drive letter

11. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    thanks John, followed your advice to the letter but still no joy. Is FAT the same as FAT16? Sorry I keep going on about this! Dan

12. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,892
    Yes FAT is usually regarded at FAT16, but there's no harm in trying FAT16 as the option, I think it will give you an error and not do it though.

13. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    hi, yea i tried that too and sure enough it gave an error! Arrrrgh!

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,892
    Are you sure the card is OK ?

15. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    yea i actually have 2 and they both give the same error. Thanks for all the help anyway. Dan