• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How do I fix this drive?

Bounkass

Standard Member
So, today I got a Harman Kardon TS7 subwoofer for free. Yes, FREE. But there's catch;

DSC_0708.jpg

It's broken. :( But, I'm very handy and I've fixed my Kef Q55's tweeters before, I'd like to give this a try. :thumbsup: No guarantee's.

It looks like the rear had been ripped off. Is there any way I can access the rear without cutting open the front? :confused:

- Ben

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
The magnet should gently pull off, as the coil and connections are attached to the cone.

Now the difficult bit, realigning the magnet to the basket without damaging the coil any further! Before you go any further, check to see if the coil is damaged. Use a meter to check if it has continuity and visually check it is not deformed.

locate the magnet and stick it back with some epoxy resin.

I have to say I think you are on to a loser here, as the chance is the coil is damaged and will no longer move cleanly in the gap without touching.

Bounkass

Standard Member
Thanks. I stlil want to give it a try though.

This is what I have done, I pushed down the cone all the way, this enabled me to turn the magnet away from the coil. And this is the good news, the coil seems to be as good as new. Nothing wrong with it. Except the inside seems to be dented outwards. Here's a picture;

DSC_0709.jpg

DSC_0711.jpg

DSC_0710.jpg

I can't pull the magnet off of the "frame". Seems to be hooked or something. And I don't want to force it because I don't want to brake the frame.

Edit: After a little bit of force, I got seperated the magnet from the frame and cone:

DSC_0712.jpg

DSC_0713.jpg

DSC_0714.jpg

DSC_0715.jpg

Now I'm going to me garage, and see what I can do. I will post results later!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom