1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i fix convergence on a Sony KV-32FQ70E?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Nijo, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Nijo

Nijo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the title:How do i fix convergence on a Sony?

2. bolio

bolio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem on a Sony KV-28CS70, only worse judging from your picture. This cannot be adjusted in the service menu. I had an engineer come over, but after opening the set he couldn't fix it either. I went back to my dealer to swap the set but to my amazement the set in the showroom also had the convergence error. It seems that all Sony's are in some degree affected with this error. I ended up going for another make / model. See also my topic

3. Nijo

Nijo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bolio, i saw your post before.That's a shame,but i opened up my tv and there are 6 screwes in 3 different places to adjust,the one in the middle doesn't have name one it.
    Anyone knowes wich one i shuld try with?

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, well first off I'm impressed that your tv set has had 'external' magnets fitted to the rear of the crt to obtain correct geometry (these are the strips and small squarish magents stuck to the rear of the crt). You might not normally expect to see these on a domestic telly and the fact that they are fitted is a testament to the manufacturers efforts to get the geometry of the crt/scan coils correct before it left the factory.

I would not touch ANY of the controls you have highlighted since I am not convinced any of them will adjust the horizontal static convergence of this set. You will be looking for a control/adjustment for horizontal static convergence - it may be simply be marked 'HSTAT' or 'Horstat' or maybe just something like 'STAT' if you find it be careful IT WILL HAVE HIGH VOLTS on it. I would not advise you to adjust anything inside the back of the tv (or indeed to take the back off) unless you are qualified, confident and experienced - otherwise you could end up harming yourself or 'cocking up' the whole telly. Regards, yt.

5. Nijo

Nijo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah,you're probably right,what's the pots:Focus and screen do?
    How about in the service menu then?There must be something to do with the red shadowing... :lease:

6. Nijo

Nijo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    for a 32" set that doesn't look too bad-where about in the screen was that text?

8. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, Focus does exactly what it says, it will adjust the focus (sharpness) of the picture. Screen, this will affect the overall 'cut off' (think turn off) of the RGB electron beams near black level. This is NOT a control which can be adjusted by eye, it should be set by a competent engineer to the value advised in the service manual (not service menu). If you misadjust it by eye then usually one of two things happens - the colour balance of the set may shift in dark areas of the picture or you will see the electron beam flyback lines across the entire screen. Neither of these controls will affect the convergence or geometry of the picture so please don't be tempted to adjust them (they will also have very high voltages on the controls and if you accidentally touch the wrong thing then you will have a very red face... ) Regards, yt.