How do I find out what speed I am able to get in my home?

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by sedalbis, Feb 11, 2009.

1. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Hey,
    Ok so I have been with Orange broadband for ages now (since it was Freeserve and then Wanadoo) and our current package is advertised as 8mb broadband.
    Up until recently Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test has stated that we are in fact only getting a download speed of 5mb. I'm not overly bothered about this as I find 5mb to be pretty quick. However, recently, since about a week ago, our download speed has decreased to 1.9mb. I have no idea why this has happened, nothing with our set up has changed at all.

Anyway, I'm going to change to o2 Broadband soon because it is cheaper and advertises up to 20mb (instead of the 8mb with Orange).

When I input my land line number on the o2 Broadband site, it stated that my home should be able to receive download speeds of 14mb. If this is the case, why was I only getting 5mb and now 1.9mb with Orange?

If I change to o2, is it likely that me speed will increase? And does anyone have any ideas why my speed with Orange has decreased since last week?

Finally, is there a definitive way to determine the exact maximum download speed my home is able to receive?

Thanks in advance :)

2. accyuklad

accyuklad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    could be throttling you or could be a problem with your line
    do this test and show what you got Test Result

im on o2 and i get max of 19meg

3. Rygar

Rygar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    No, but use links 2 & 3 in my sig to get a pretty good idea. Post back with your line stats if you need help or are confused with the results.

The online ISP speed checks & indeed what the ISP tells you if you actually call them are only rough estimates that are based on rough distance info often taken from flawed data bases. Using the speed estimate tool in my sig will be far more accurate.

4. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Ok these are my results using the second link in your sig:

Your maximum line connection speed using an ADSL (up to 8Mbps) service is: 5551Kbps

If using a BT Wholesale Max product, then your expected IP Profile (sometimes called BRAS Data Rate) will be: 4.5Mbps

If your service provider uses ADSL2+ the maximum line speed likely is: 15650Kbps

With ADSL2+ the maximum IP throughput (result from a speedtest) is likely to be around: 13850Kbps

So by the looks of it my max speed with Orange should be 5551Kbps which is roughly what I was getting up until last week. So why has it dropped to 1.9mbps do you think? Will switching to o2 make it faster or is it likely to be a problem with my line?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  5. accyuklad

accyuklad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    well you probly will get 12-14meg out of o2 or be

6. accyuklad

accyuklad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    well you need to do a btspeedtest of the link i put and it says what profile speed they put you at just copy all the test numbers it shows because it looks like they might of got you throttled if you heavy user

7. Rygar

Rygar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    The reason for the speed drop could be any number of things. Post your line stats & also the results from the BT Wholesale speedtest that accyuklad mentions & I will have a better idea of the reason. From what you have told us already I'm inclined to think your line is fine and its a throughput issue with Orange.

Chances are pretty good that if you move to an ADSL2+ provider such as O2, BE or Sky you will see a big jump up in speed.

8. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Thanks for the replies people. I'm really excited to get o2 now....a jump from 1.9mb to 12-14mb will be unbelievable!

Regarding the BT speed test, I just get the following message every time I try to use it: Test Error. The system is currently busy. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

And as for the line stats, what information do you need? It would take forever to type all of it out.

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it :)

9. accyuklad

accyuklad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]

but if you after getting faster speed then you might aswell get mac and change to o2 then the speed issue be sorted if not and still slow put the adsl into the test socket and see if speed increases or you could do that with the isp your with but i reckon orange might of throttled you

if you do heavy usage or always use online gaming then that can cause throttling speed

10. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Ok here is some info from my line stats:

LocalSNRMargin = 19.0 dB
    LocalLineAttn = 32.0 dB
    RawAttn = 32.0 dB
    LocalTxPower = 12.3 dB

RemoteSNRMargin = 29 dB
    RemoteLineAttn = 20.0dB

Downstream = 2272kb
    Upstream = 288kb

I have no idea what most of this means :suicide:

Do you need any more info?

My router is plugged in to the test/master socket at the moment. I do download a lot of torrents and play a lot of PS3 online. But I have downloaded torrents and played PS3 online a lot more during previous months and the speed has never decreased.

11. accyuklad

accyuklad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    looks like orange have throttled you when i was with virgin i always downloaded everyday untill i couldnt as i was getting 1kb after 4pm till 12 lol

so you best off changing

12. Rygar

Rygar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    You're on a 2Mb fixed service, that's why you're not getting any faster. If you were getting faster speeds before I can only imagine orange have downgraded you for some reason. Migrate to an ADSL2+ ISP and watch your speeds fly!

13. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Ok so just cancelled Orange and ordered o2...can't wait! Just waiting on my MAC code through the post from Orange, then need to go on the o2 site and type it in and then we will be connected :) o2 have stated that our speed should be 14Mb, which if it is will be an absolutely amazing difference from what we are on now :D

So what exactly is the difference between ADSL and ADSL2+? I'm guessing Orange is ADSL and o2 is ADSL2+ right? Sorry my knowledge of broadband is really very basic :suicide:

14. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +327
    The difference between ADSL and ADSL2+ is frequency range.
    ADSL2+ uses a larger range thus enabling faster speeds.

ADSL1 = up to 8Mbps
    ADSL2 = up to 12Mbps
    ADSL2+ = up to 24Mbps

Your phone line is split into two sections. One for voice and the other for data.

Voice: 0 - 20 kHz
    DSL: 25.875 kHz - 1.104 MHz
    ADSL2+: 25.875 kHz - 2.208 MHz

15. accyuklad

accyuklad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    i think i had to wait 1-2weeks to swap over

16. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Got MAC code from Orange this morning through post (only ordered it yesterday!!!). o2 have text me saying that it will all be up and running on the 23rd Feb. I shall post back then to let you know about the speed of the new service and how it compares to Orange.
    Cheers for all the help guys :thumbsup:

EDIT - Just had a look at this website: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/mapping/mapping.php
    It states that the maximum adsl2+ speed I can get at my address is 5mb. This is really dissapointing! When I signed up for o2 they told me I would be able to get 14mb. So which one is lying?

http://212.23.23.177/ADSL/default.aspx states that using adsl2+ my house will be able to get a speed of 15mb.

I'm really confused now. I'm getting different quotes from different sources. I guess I will just have to wait until the 23rd to find out but if I only get 5mb I will be very dissapointed :(

I live 1638m from the exchange if that is of any use?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  17. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Hey,
    So the o2 got connected today and I'm getting a download speed of 10.5mb and an upload speed of 1.2mb. I'm really happy with that :thumbsup:
    Not quite the 14mb o2 told me I would get but SO much better than the 2mb I was getting in the first place.....good riddance Orange :devil:

18. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Based on the speed that you are getting now your were probably on a 2MB/s Fixed Rate with Orange. To eek out that last bit of speed, have a look at the many threads here on how to improve your Internal wiring.

19. sedalbis

sedalbis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    I have a split faceplate on the master socket, and my broadband is connected directly to the line outside, so I imagine I am getting the best possible speeds. Yeah it does seem like I was on 2mb with Orange, but they told us we had been upgraded to an 8mb service and we were actually getting 5mb up until a few weeks ago. What a rubbish company.