1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I find my Sub crossover point?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Army Bloke2, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Army Bloke2

Army Bloke2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help Please?!?

I now have a Marantz SR5200 which has a fixed crossover point of 100hz. My main speakers are KEF Cresta 2's and a Cresta centre plus Jamo Surround 300's on th rear. According to the specs for all these speakers, they go down to 20 hz, but, to take strain off the amp and to protect the speakers, I set the speaker size to "small" on all of them, in theory handing over all bass duties to the sub at 100hz.

But it just dosen't sound right. There seems to be a lack of LFE which tells me the sub crossover point is set to low, leaving a gap in the middle there somewhere. The sub is a Rel Q Bass.

How do I find the 100hz point on the crossover dial when there are no markings on it?

I have the ultimate platinum DVD to help me out by the way.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    I doubt those speakers go down to 20hz, thats subwoofer territory!! Where did you get the specs from??

You need to set the crossover on the sub to maximum as the amp will be controlling the cutoff i.e 100hz when you set all the speakers to small.

3. Army Bloke2

Army Bloke2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That should read 20 KHZ:blush: .

So you are saying that the crossover dial should be turned all the way round so it's at it's lowest (and loudest when running a test tone through it).

I'll give that a try.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    The crossover should be set to the highest it will go, my Rel is just over 100hz (max with the knob turned round clockwise)

The volume level is best to be set about a third or halfway and then controlled from the amp. I assume the Marantz has individual channel level control??

There should be a test tone sweep on the disc that runs from 200hz down to 20hz (or similar) you use this to see if the bass drops off at any point. Its also on any dvd that has the THX optimizer included.

5. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My M&K Subwoofer has a volume knob and a cutoff knob. The volume knob goes from -3 to zero to +3. I set it at 0db. My 11SR amplifier cuts of at 80Hz (THX). This answer's my cut off question. Your cutoff should be 100Hz, set your sub to that.

I set my sub to 80Hz (or switch the THX button) and the amplifier cuts off my speakers at 80Hz (near enough anyway) and my subwoofer kicks in at 80Hz down (again near enough).

The second important bit......

I then get my SPL meter and make sure the test tone is 75db if not I use the amplifier menu to change the volume of the sub.

In the end an integrated subwoofer. By the way remember and check the phase.

Lush.

Regards

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When using the low level connection (LFE) you should, either disable the sub´s crossover, if possible, or set it to its highest value...

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    My REL has it's crossover set to max. REL state that the Q Bass will go from 120Hz - 20Hz. All I've done from there is adjust the sub volume till it kicks in just right. I connected my sub by the low level phono link only.