How do I feed vhs video through PC to Deinteralce

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr A, May 10, 2001.

1. Mr A

Mr A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone able to help me by telling me what kit and software I need to be able to feed VHS through my PC to get a deinterlaced signal for a projector. I intend to use the video to play my old tapes and also as TV tuner.

Is there a TV tuner card that will give large picture at decent resolution?

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr. D is correct.

You'll need a TV Capture Card like the Pinnacle Rave (Around £30) and dTV 2.12.

However be aware that TV Capture cards are notorious for carrying video noise so do not expect a great picture visually. You'll see bad Video Noise. The only real way around this appears to be buying expensive TV Capture Cards (over £1k).

You will however get used to it when you see Buffy or PS2 on a huge screen ;)

This was another reason I switched to The Rock Video Processor which has extremely noise free S-video and Composite inputs.

Regards Neil.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    You'll need a decent capture card and some software to handle the deinterlace and scale (DTV which is shareware but I've not used it myself jenz can probably advise you better).

I intend to build an HTPC that handles this side of things as well as dvd playback but I've only just started researching this.
    W2K seems to be problematic with certain video codecs from what I can gather so far.

I plan a little experiment to see if I can get a decent set-up that will handle exactly the same techniques (possibly better) that the Snell and Wilcox Gold uses but in software rather than in custom hardware but its not going to happen tomorrow. I like the idea of 20grand's worth of quality in a 1grand box!

4. Craig Crane

Craig Crane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dTV is now called dscaler. See john Ad's announcement on the AVS

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Is that £30 card or similair any good to accept a VCR signal that I can take a frame from and print off?
    It's for my door camera that covers my car out front.

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I have been able to remove virtually all traces of interference from dScaler. First I swapped out the an old WinTV card for an ATI TV wonder. This managed to reduce the noise but the interference was still evident. I have now replaced my Quiet PC PSU with a PowerPCcooling Silent 400 and the interference is gone. One word of warning though because even though this PSU is described as ultra quiet, it's not. To get around this problem I have replaced the PSU fan with a 12db Papst fan.

7. Mr A

Mr A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all,

these answers bring on further questions such as where can i get the powre supply and the cards you all refer to. Neil I have followed your Rock thread and the WAF on that much dosh would be -1000 never mind zero. i have managed to sell the merits of s/h CRt and screen verses 32" w/s TV but a rock I wont even try.

If you could let me have links to the suppliers etc that would be great.

8. dannyc

dannyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah where did you get the ati tv-wonder and the powersupply? I've been trying to find a alternative to the QuietPC ones. Mark Grant is getting me some Papst fans