1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I extend my Sky Digital cable???

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by S.S.Dhuper, Jun 11, 2002.

1. S.S.Dhuper

S.S.Dhuper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there I've got Sky Digital in my back room but I want to take the Digi box upstairs, can someone tell me how to extend the cable from the back room to another room? because the cable coming from the Dish has a screw on connector which goes at the back of the Digi box, how do I join another cable to that one?? and also what kind of cable do I need? is it the same as the aerial cable?? any advice will be welcome.

2. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dealers do sell extension cables for sky decoders,you don't join the two cables, just replace the original with the longer one - I got mine from Hi-fi Care in Tottenham Court Rd, 3m long. I think they can do any length,not sure though.

QED are also releasing a higher quality cable for this purpose,but this will probably not be long enough for your purposes

3. S.S.Dhuper

S.S.Dhuper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean replace the the cable from the Dish??? is that very hard can I do it my self or is it a job for a engineer even if I replace the cable how will I connect those connectore to the cable which screws on to the back of the Digi box.

4. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, yours may be different. I live in a flat which has a communal dish. The screw on cable I am speaking of screws into the wall in the socket marked for that purpose. The other side screws into the digibox.

5. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    You can get extension leads, they just attach to the end of the cable that currently connects to your digibox if the cable runs from the dish to your box without a wall plate.

Mark

6. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

Perhaps you can use male/female coaxial connectors to join the cable.
    Don't know if impaires the shielding though.

You can buy cable plus connectors from maplins...
    http://www.maplin.co.uk

:confused:

7. S.S.Dhuper

S.S.Dhuper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do these extension leads come with these screw on connectors fixed on to them?? if not are they easy to fit and any idea where I can buy these extension leads and for how much I'm going to need plenty of cable.

8. S.S.Dhuper

S.S.Dhuper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul G the connection behind my Sky Digi box is a screw on connection what I basically need is a straight connection so I can screw on the connection from the Dish and on the other side take the cable upstairs,

9. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope I not wrong....

Simply unscrew the screw on connector from the cable. Replace with male coaxial plug. Get extension cable... On one end of this, attach female coaxial socket, on the other attach the screw on connector that was on your original lead. Your extension lead can now plug onto existing lead and plug into box upstairs.

Hope this makes sense.:confused:

10. S.S.Dhuper

S.S.Dhuper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand what you are saying and it makes perfect sense, but the screw on connector behind the Digi isn't screwed on to the cable but it's fixed tightly on the cable when I had sky installed new the guy had this speical tool he put the screw on connector on the cable and then with that tool he sort of moulded it on to the cable, now I can probably pull this connector of the cable but to put it back on is rather douthfu without that speical tool which only they have.

11. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    While I don't pretend to be all the knowledgable on the subject, the guy who installed my setup assured me that it was fairly critical that there shouldn't be a join in the cable.
    Was he blagging?

12. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry. I didn't realise your screw on connector was specially moulded for the job. The one I have simply screws onto the sat cable.
    Perhaps if you can buy male/ female screw on plugs then you could make an extension cable. But as far as I can tell, such things are not available.
    :(

13. S.S.Dhuper

S.S.Dhuper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul I'll check some of the shops around for these connections if I can buy them, because I don't want to call Sky engineer out for silly money!! I'll let you know how it goes.

14. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Sorry if I was somehow unclear in my original post.

Do *not* try and change the cable connectors, just purchase a satellite extension cable, they come already fitted with the correct screw on connectors.

I think from memory, the one I use came from a DIY store.

Mark

15. S.S.Dhuper

S.S.Dhuper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mark now at least I know there're available, I'll be out looking for them.

16. Raffles

Raffles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to B & Q - they sell both digital cable(off the reel) and the proper screw type extension connectors.

17. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Just read this thread (been away on holiday in New York for a week).
    The connector used for the satellite TV IF cable (the Intermediate Frequency cable from the LNB/dish) carries frequencies from about
    900 MHz to 2100 MHz (2.1GHz). These are much higher frequencies than are used for terrestrial antennas/cables ; normal TV coaxial cable will be too lossy at the higher frequencies (UHF TV is about 450-800 MHz). The standard TV "Belling-Lee" connectors are also dubious at the satellite IF frequencies. You need an extension cable specifically designed for satellite TV (usually using CT100/H100 double-screened cable). The relevant connectors are called F-connectors. A decent satellite dealer can make up or sell you ready-made an extension cable with an F-type male on one end & female on the other. Alternatively, f-type male-to-male cables can be used (they're commoner) along with the appropriate "barrel" adaptor (so-called because of its shape but basically 2 females back to back - maybe we should call it a "Lesbian pair" :)
    I believe I have seen an extension kit in B & Q containing a cable with females at each end + one of the F-type barrels. Cable TV systems also tend to use F-connectors.
    Chris Muriel, Manchester -author of internet Digital Satellite FAQ.

18. S.S.Dhuper

S.S.Dhuper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Chris, I instead of extending the cable from the back room have instead replaced it from the Dish, I managed to get these "F Connectors" you mentioned from my local Car boot sale for 20p each and I got the Satalite Cable from ScrewFix I got 100 metre's for £11.60 with free delivery because it's a first order with them, and the way I ran the cable was excellent because the dish is behind the house, I ran the cable up the wall and through the hole of the overflow pipe in the loft and from there straight along the rafter's and straight to my room at the front of the room and I made one small hole in the corner of the room connected the F Connector on and I'm getting great picture, it's a great feeling you get when you do it yourself and in the process saving alot of money,anyway I want to thank all you guys for your advice.

19. BoilingPoint

BoilingPoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speaking as someone who used to install Sky Dishes for a living, you must have had a lot of fun (not) running that cable. I used to hate it when a long run had to go through an attic (or loft), as it's all to easy to put a foot wrong in most people's attic's. He, he, congrats' on a job well done m8. ;)

20. S.S.Dhuper

S.S.Dhuper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Boiling Point, Thanks for those kind words, you're right about where I was putting my feet, one wrong move and disaster, mind you my upper legs were aching for at least 4 days because half of my Loft you can't stand you have to bend and crawl :) I felt good because the cable is 99% hidden and I didn't have to demolish half the house :).