How do I do wireless here?

nikonuser11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
heres the basic set up;

Sky BB and SKY router upstairs
Wireless cant 'reach' downstairs so no signal
Bought HOMEPLUGS and that gives WIRED rj45 connection downstairs

Question is "How do, or what can I connect to the Homeplug wire rj45 to give me wireless in that room?"

WAP - Wireless Access Point

thanks, whats that exactly? and does it work WITH the homeplugs or seperatley? any issues setting up etc etc?

thanks, whats that exactly? and does iwork WITH the homeplugs or seperatley? any issues setting up etc etc?
You plug the Wireless Access Point into the Downstairs Home plug and you will have WiFi downstairs. Yes you need to set it up with an SSID and Security.

To save money you could simply use an old router and disable the bits of it that you don't need. (There are umpteen treads on how to.) You can also get Homeplugs with built in Wireless Access points.

Having said all the above, why don't you just plug the downstairs PC into the HomePlug? Doing that will give you a much better connection.

BTW, before you bought the HomePlugs did you check whether the reason for the lack of signal was due to Channel Conflict with a neighbour.

A WAP allows wireless devices to connect to it wirelessly but will connect to the homeplug via Ethernet/Cat5 patch cable to join your local network. The Homeplugs are just like running a piece of Cat5 cable from one place to another. You need to buy a WAP or if you have a spare broadband wireless router it could be configured to work just as a WAP.

You can configure your WAP in a way that will allow your wireless devices to roam between the two WAPs (the new one and the existing one upstairs) automatically.

My last WAP was set up with the same SSID anss Security Key as the main system - thus using a laptop anywhere in the house was seamless.

The following should work. I have not tried this setup but it may work with your curren layout and give you what you want in an all-in-one unit

Billion 2073N WiFi 'N' HomePlug Wall Plug Ethernet Adapter (UK, 200Mbps) #BIPAC2073N - eXpansys UK

I havea Billion modem router and it is simply the best I have ever used. Would be worthwhile contcting Billionsupport to check compatibility

Code:
www.billion.com
good luck

C

EDIT

See Review fo this kit

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002TOKGJA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

C

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
My last WAP was set up with the same SSID anss Security Key as the main system - thus using a laptop anywhere in the house was seamless.

The following should work. I have not tried this setup but it may work with your curren layout and give you what you want in an all-in-one unit

Billion 2073N WiFi 'N' HomePlug Wall Plug Ethernet Adapter (UK, 200Mbps) #BIPAC2073N - eXpansys UK

I havea Billion modem router and it is simply the best I have ever used. Would be worthwhile contcting Billionsupport to check compatibility

Code:
www.billion.com
good luck

C

EDIT

See Review fo this kit

Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: Billion BiPAC 2073N Wireless-N HomePlug AV 200 Mbps Wall Plug Ethernet Adapter

C

Thanks, only issue is I spent over £100 on homeplugs so I'm not keen to spent another £60 on another homeplug with wireless, it looks good though, maybe I should sell my current homeplugs which are only a few months old but give me fast connection wired

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks, only issue is I spent over £100 on homeplugs so I'm not keen to spent another £60 on another homeplug with wireless, it looks good though, maybe I should sell my current homeplugs which are only a few months old but give me fast connection wired

I understand where you are coming from but a half decent WAP could cost you much te same.

You will still need to keep one of your Homplugs to use at the router point...

The obvious advice here, as previously mentioned, is to reuse a modem router/router wih the wireless etc turned off to act as a WAP.

I am tempted by one of thebillion units to go with my Billion Modem Router.

C

I understand where you are coming from but a half decent WAP could cost you much te same.

You will still need to keep one of your Homplugs to use at the router point...

The obvious advice here, as previously mentioned, is to reuse a modem router/router wih the wireless etc turned off to act as a WAP.

I am tempted by one of thebillion units to go with my Billion Modem Router.

C

ok, I have an old BT router which is wireless but you say 'turn the wireless off'? but it would be connected to the homeplug via rj45 and wouldnt THAT now act as my wireless router? can I use a BT one even though its sky BB?
(this is sounding like its going to be mega complicated:rolleyes::rolleyes:)

ok, I have an old BT router which is wireless but you say 'turn the wireless off'? but it would be connected to the homeplug via rj45 and wouldnt THAT now act as my wireless router? can I use a BT one even though its sky BB?
(this is sounding like its going to be mega complicated:rolleyes::rolleyes:)

ESorry

You are right - I think I had a bit of a brainstorn there

Yes you need the wireless - but you need to reset it to act as a WAP. Includes turng off the DCHP server and its modem.

I have not done that with a BT Hub - I am assuming its one of the old stle Voyager 2100 units or Home Hub.

They were faiirly locked up but I am sure a root around the Techy or Geek type forums will reval how to unlock their secrets. I have about 5 BT Business Hubs which were excellet units but the frmware was locked out totally to allow reuse eiter as a modem rouiter to other ISPs or WAP - thugh there is again forums with all sortsof cracks.

Search for unlocking and using your router - adding the model numer or name - as a wireless bridge or WAP

Sorry about themix up - but the kit you have got should be able to be used.

C

I can understand the confusion that you are now under.

The BT router CAN act as a WiFi Access Point (It isn't locked down in that respect nor are any BT routers that I have come across.) and here is how to do it:

Go into its settings 192.168.1.254 Now go to Advanced Settings. Turn of its DHCP Server. You can probably leave its IP Address as is in this case.) Now plug it into the downstairs HomePlug via one of its Ethernet ports. (The upstairs HomePlug will should be plugged into one of the Sky router's Ethernet ports.) It will, now function as a WiFi Access Point.

If you wish to 'roam' seamlessly between upstairs and downstairs, you could change the BT router's SSID and WiFi encryption to the same settings as the Skyt router.

ahh thanks guys and especially cointreauman and beerhunter:thumbsup:
you've made it simple enough I think I can have a go, just need to now connect the old BT router into my pc instead of sky and try these settings then plug it in downstairs- SWMBO will love all the cables and extra kit......NOT:rolleyes:

The BT router CAN act as a WiFi Access Point (It isn't locked down in that respect nor are any BT routers that I have come across.) and here is how to do it:

Go into its settings 192.168.1.254 Now go to Advanced Settings. Turn of its DHCP Server. You can probably leave its IP Address as is in this case.) Now plug it into the downstairs HomePlug via one of its Ethernet ports. (The upstairs HomePlug will should be plugged into one of the Sky router's Ethernet ports.) It will, now function as a WiFi Access Point.

If you wish to 'roam' seamlessly between upstairs and downstairs, you could change the BT router's SSID and WiFi encryption to the same settings as the Skyt router.

Beerhunter

Useful info on the BT routers - the BT Business Hub is somewhat different as though the case stayed the same the internals changed considerably, both in firmware and broadcast type (Single SSID to Dual SSID (for better Fusion) and later a default hiving off of 0.5Mbps of bandwidth for BTOpenzone broadcasting. (I think they do soemthing different ewith the Home Hubs and FON.

Upshot was that BT firmly locked down their Business Hubs and though there are hacked firmwares around, some are clumsy and may "brick" the unit altogether.

As said above I am not practiced on the BT Home products and it is good that they can be accessed. I have founf the Business Hubs impossible to get into except with root access. Portions of some menu options are locked off. The range of official firmware and associated upgrades can be confusing and you need a "map" to ensure that the release dated models are matched to the correct firmware and associated cracked versions. I checked and have only 2 that match out of the 5 I have! (also 2 are single SSID and 3 are Dual SSID models.)

I would be grateful if anyone on here has actually enabled a BT Business Hub (made by E2Wire) behave as a Bridge or WAP.

C

Of the three modem/routers I have tried all worked as an AP by simply plugging the ethernet coming from the homeplug into the first ethernet port on the router, the router then automatically turned off DHCP and although it didn't say it was connected to the internet any computer connected to it has the internet.
(This includes an old BT Voyager 2100)

A WAP or Wireless Access Point or a Range Expander will do. It would help extend wireless signal from an existing wireless network. I would recommend WAP54G since it has a wireless repeater mode. For range expander, you can use WRE54G wireless range expander in Linksys.

now done, getting the BT username and password was a bugger, had to reset it, anyway plugged in downstairs and WHOOSH! fast wireless broadband for laptop/iphone/Wii etc etc
thanks again for the clear instructions:thumbsup:

now done, getting the BT username and password was a bugger, had to reset it, anyway plugged in downstairs and WHOOSH! fast wireless broadband for laptop/iphone/Wii etc etc
thanks again for the clear instructions:thumbsup:

Shame the Business Router seems to be reluctant to open up its secrets - it is resisting my attempts to crack it as it realuy is a gem of a wireless set.

Good to know that the Home Hub does allow reuse!think I have one of the Home Hub 1 models tucked away in my workshop, I will have a goat his myself one of my neighbours wants to extend his network.

C

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom