How do I do this?

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by Gazza911, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Gazza911

Gazza911
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi folks, I have a typical setup, speakers, AV receiver, tv etc. All audio and video handled by AV receiver as you wold expect. One slight difference is I have a projector which I use for movies. the AV receiver handles this as it i has 2 video outputs, one to tv and one to projector. Simples eh? For reasons I won’t go into the AV receiver has to go and I need to replace with a sound-bar. How do I get a similar setup using a soundbar whereby, if the tv is on the picture is routed to the tv and conversely if the projector is on the video is routed there.
    As I understand it source would go to tv then optical audio from tv to soundbar. Of course this wouldn’t work if the tv was powered off because the projector is on! I would rather the source went to soundbar then a video (hdmi) cable to both the tv and projector. Is this possible or how do you experts do it. Sorry if I’m being dumb and missed something really obvious somewhere....

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,535
    Source(s) > Soundbar > 1x2 HDMI Distribution Amp (Splitter) > TV + Projector.

You will potentially also want an Optical cable between the TV and the Soundbar if you use the TV’s onboard Tuner or Apps and want to listen via the Soundbar.

Joe

3. Gazza911

Gazza911
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Joe, I had a feeling someone would suggest a splitter. A splitter it will have to be then. Thanks again