How do I do this?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mb3195, Feb 11, 2014.

1. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,818
    Evening all.

I've just set up my new cinema room, all is working hunky dory and really happy with it.

Now I've decided I want to change TV's in my living room.

Now the dilemma!

Ideally I want to utilise the equipment I have for my cinema room, the question is how.

Currently I have various equipment going in to my yamaha 2065 av receiver (which has 2 outputs), this then feeds directly into my Lumagen XE (which also has 2 outputs), then in to my projector.

My plan is to send one of the two outputs to my projector, the other output to my TV. This is all good and well for video, but what will happen to the audio? Will I be able to use the TV speakers for audio using this set up? I do have the option of potentially running a optical cable from the lumagen to the TV if it will help?

I know by doing this that I wont be able to use the cinema room and tv at the same time, so am planning on having a separate sky box fed directly to the TV as an alternative for these situations.

I dont have options to have another set of speakers in my living room other than potentially a sound bar.

Does this all make sense???

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,065
    The two outputs are indeed there to fascilitate the connection of both a PJ and a TV simultaneously, but only for use with the AV receiver and the speakers attached to it. Most people who have such an arrangement have a PJ screen that lowers down in front of their TV so that the same speaker arrangement can be used for both and there would be no needto use the TV's own speakers. If you configure the receiver to passthrough audio then the source will be forced to output formats that only your TV or PJ can handle. Your PJ has no audio handling abilities and your TV's capabilities will be well short of those associated with the AV receiver.

The RXV2065 has no second HDMI zone capabilities and the second output is purely a mirror of the primary output.

Running an optical cable from the PJ to the TV is pointless. No TV has an optical audio input.

I'd suggest not using the receiver's second HDMI output to try create a second HDMI zone. THis particular receiver cannot facilitate this.

If wanting to use HDMI components that are located in the cinema room with your TV in another location then you need to be looking at HDMI matrix boxes or an AV receiver with inbuilt matrixing capabilities.

3. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,818
    I was thinking about a new av receiver anyway, any suggestions on what one could do what I'm looking for, I believe the denon 4520 has this capability.

I am also likely to get a soundbar for the tv

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,065
    Yes the AVR4520 does indeed have the second HDMI zone capabilities as well as a third HDMI output specifically for output to the second zone. The DEnon AVRX4000 also has much the same capabilities and the third output. The AVRX3000 has the ability, but only 2 HDMI outputs. Yamaha's RXA3030 can also independently supply a second HDMI zone.

5. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,818
    Ok, so I get this right in my head.

If I went for a multi zone I could in effect have one source going to the tv (zone 2), the other one going to the lumagen then to the projector (zone 1) and could watch two separate sources at the same time.

Then if needed, I could have a 2nd hdmi source going to the tv from The lumagen (zone 1), meaning that when not using the projector all of my source inputs are going through the radiance and making use of its capabilities.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,065
    I'd tend to suggest you use the Lumagen for either one zone or the other and not for both, but you could do as you suggesr if outputting the receivers main room output to the Lumafen as well as the second HDMI zone output. The issue is that you cannot then output two different sources simultaneously with the Lumagen and there's only one second zone HDMI output from the receiver. You'd need to leave the Lumagen out of the equation and bypass it for the second HDMI zone feed if wanting to use that feed at the same time as the main room.

7. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,818
    That's fine with me as my mrs would never notice the difference and she is the only person that would be watching it if I was in the cinema room......the roles are never reversed!:)