1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I correct convergence?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Omega Prime, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Omega Prime

Omega Prime
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help desperately needed. I have sorted out most of the problems with my Tosh 32ZD26 except convergence.

I have used the dots pattern from AVIA and I get a red outlining on the dots which implies that all three electron guns are not properly converging.

How do I correct it via the service menu, and for those of you who has done this type of thing before any do's and don'ts when dealing with convergence?

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately I don't think you can. Mechanical adjustment is needed but it's very likely the set would be replaced instead.

3. Omega Prime

Omega Prime
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There must be a way. This set is ok apart from that little problem. I am afraid that if I replace it I will get a set with more problems than this one.:(

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's some dots and not all dots, and especially if its on the periphery of the image, I'd be inclined to be tolerant of it. If this is the case, check it during normal viewing as, after all, you won't be watching a test signal much and you may find that's its barely noticeable, if at all, on regular images. Certainly sounds like you didn't notice anything wrong UNTIL you viewed the test signals :)

BTW, adjusting convergence is a very tricky thing and not to be attempted by anyone who doesn't know exactly what they're doing. I've been in my service menu and had a fiddle about with geometry settings and stuff like that, but I certainly wouldn't mess with convergence settings at all. Leave that one to the engineers but, as Groundy says, you're better off rejecting the set if it's a new one and getting a replacement.

5. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Most modern tubes are pre-converged and very little adjustment is possible. Minor adjustments can be done with stick on magnets but these can also have an adverse effect on geometry. Unless you splash out a small fortune on a professional grade monitor, small convergence errors are inevitable, particularly in the corners. Take a look at a selection of sets in your local shop. You'll probably find few, if any, are perfect.

6. ToshTelly

ToshTelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Toshiba 32" has a some convergeance problems in the corners but 99% of the time it's not noticable.:)