1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I copy my Vinyl records to MP3 ?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by PlasmaIan, Nov 19, 2004.

1. PlasmaIan

PlasmaIan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Santa is bring me a Phillips MP3 player and I'd like to know what software/cables I need to get to enable conversion and tagging of some of my old vinyl records ?

Thanks in advance

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    You have a PC with a CD or DVD burner on it? Which software do you use for burning?

3. PlasmaIan

PlasmaIan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Windows Media Player..

4. Syrup

Syrup
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi plasmaian,

im in the process of recording a shedload of vinyl to my pc (about 1500 12"'s). depending on how serious you are about the quality, i would say that firstly a half decent sound card is essential for recording. im using a terratec dmx6fire that ive had for about 18 months and the sound quality is good. i also use a decent quality interconnect between the turntable and mixer (im using a seperate dj mixer as the quality of the vinyl recordings varies a lot and this allows me to tweak each individual track to sound how i want it before and during recording) and a decent one between mixer and sound card. you could also connect your turntable to the phono stage on your amp (providing it has one) and then back into the line in on your soundcard, or directly into the soundcard, providing it accepts a phono signal, or your turntable can output a line level signal. i record everything as a .wav file straight into soundforge (most free wav editors will allow this too) and then tag it up once ive edited the wav file. i then save the wav file to the hard drive and then onto dvdr as a backup. doing it this way, stops you from inadvertantly destroying the master copy of the wav file if you decide to do some editing, like decrackle, defuzz, eq etc. also if any future formats come to light (as opposed to mp3) you can just convert straight from the uncomressed wav straight into that format. for converting the wavs to mp3, i use cdex, its free and is highly customiseable and uses the lame encoder which i think sounds the best. another thing to do to get the best from your vinyl, is to give it a good clean. dont be shy with it, get an old soft cotton tshirt, wet it and give it a good clean (try not to get the label wet), dry it off with another old soft cotton tshirt and then leave it to dry off thoroughly. this method is just the way i do it, and im sure others have their own ways. i hope this is of use. :)

Dave

5. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    OK, I';ve never used WMP to do anything except play media files, so I can't be specific.

What you need to get records onto CD is this;

1: Record deck connected to an amp or pre-amp. This is necessary to get the right frequency response.

2: Pre-amp output (or tape recording output) connected from amp to your PC soundcard line input (note - not microphone). You may need a cable such as 2xRCA >> 1 x 3.5mm stereo jack.

3: Audio capture software. I use one that's embedded within the CD burning software I use (which is Ahead Nero).

4: You may need to find a "mixer" software for your soundcard to turn on and adjust the level of the line input on the soundcard.

I recommend that you record first to a folder on your hard disc. I also recommend that you record first into .wav format. This takes up 10mb per minute (approx) so you need a lot of hard disc space. The reason for recording to .wav at this point is in case you need to do any editing. .wav is lossless, so you can open, close, save (etc) as many times as you like.

Once you have your .wav files as you like them, you will need an mp3 converter. There are lots of them, free and to pay for, about, of varying quality. I use the one embedded in Nero (again) with their enhanced algorithms (mp3Pro) enabled. This produces good results.

6. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,384
    Unless your collection is perfectly mint you will more than likely want soem software to remove clicks etc. MAGIX Audio Cleaning Lab is one to try.

John

7. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nigel,
    Sorry :offtopic:
    Have you installed the MP3PRO plugin? My version of Nero, which came with the DVD RW I bought only had a trial of 30 conversions. You then have to pay for the upgrade. I found this out when I was doing the same here.

8. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    Yes, I have. And even the standard mp3 format (fixed bitrate etc) files, when done using the best/slowest algorithm are some of the least "damaged" - sounding mp3 I have heard.

9. Patrick_A

Patrick_A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I would like to know what type of MP3 player would be a better investment. What one should I buy? Just a normal department store, $150, 128MB MP3 player, or (since they dont hold any here) should I go to Radioshack and order one, or go to another city and buy a $450, 20GB, Ipod? Also, headphones, normal cheap headphones usualy arent that great, I think anyway. Should I just use the headphones that come with the MP3 or, seen on buying an expensive music device, why not drop a coin into some headphones? Help me out.

Thanks,
    Patrick

10. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,673
    This looks like a neat solution if the PC is not near the HiFi as it includes a USB phono pre-amp.

11. johnaalex

johnaalex
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,384
    I got a pair of Koss Portapro headphones with my PJB100 as aprt of the package and I have to say they are brilliant. Well balanced sound and good definition as well as being light and comfortable. Mind you for long flights I use the Bose noise cancelling units, expensive but worth it IMHO.

John

12. Syrup

Syrup
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thats what i said isnt it? lol :)

13. PlasmaIan

PlasmaIan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your comments I will compare the 2 products mentioned at PC World - They look like the simplest solutions

14. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I bought an i-River......simple, just plug it in and press "record"