How do I convert ntsc to pal please?

witters

I need to convert an ntsc video to pal so I can put it on the same disc as another pal item.

Can anyone tell me an easy way to do this please?

TIA

bsuttie

Novice Member
The easy way is to use a standards converter. Assuming you don't have one and don't have frequent enough use to justify buying one, then send the source video (tape / DVD?) to a company that provides standards conversion services and get back a tape / DVD as required.

If you didn't really mean "easy" then there are software packages around that can do the job - Canopus Procoder is one we use, the "Express" version probably can as well.
Be careful over field order or you will get a right mess.

PAL is upper field first (except DV) and NTSC is lower field first.

The resizing from 720 x 486(0) to 720 x 576 is the easy bit, interpolating from 29.97 to 25 fps is the tricky bit.

regards

Brian

witters

I have an ntsc programme on dvd that I wish to put on the same disc as 2 pal programmes I have. TMPGenc won't let me mix the 2 formats on one disc.

unique

witters said:
I have an ntsc programme on dvd that I wish to put on the same disc as 2 pal programmes I have. TMPGenc won't let me mix the 2 formats on one disc.
use dvdshrink to reauthor the discs. it's probably easiest to rip the discs you want to use to your HD first, then reauthor.

dvd shrink will let you mix pal and ntsc, 4:3 and 16:9 material on the same disc if you do that. the disc technically isn't dvd compliant as your not supposed to do that (which is why most software won't let you author a disc like that), but i've never had a problem playing discs like that in any players yet

if you need dvdshrink etc tutorials, www.videohelp.com is the place. its the same procedure as reauthoring files from a number of discs, the fact you mix ntsc and pal etc doesn't matter

if you definately want to convert ntsc-pal or vice versa, again videohelp is the place for tutorials. tmpgenc is the software you will probably need. converting is a pain, but with dvd shrink its a peice of cake and you don't need to re-encode