how do i...convert my CDs to digital in one go - I have a JVC 200 discs carousel

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by asherpat, Dec 29, 2006.

1. asherpat

asherpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

i have a 200 CD changer carousel with optical digital output and I want finally to go digital (ie PC). I also have more than 300 CDs outside of the CD changer and i cant think about doing it all CDs one by one.

Any idea how to do it while playing disc after disc automatically on the carousel? Any PC card that has as an input optical thingy? and if yes, will it recognise the CDs or i will have to type the songs (in which case I will :suicide: )

tks in advance for advice.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    If you did it from the carousel you'd have to type all of the CD and track information in yourself. Plus you'd probably just end up with one very long track!

I think you'll have to do it one by one (that's how I did it) or maybe send them off to one of the ripping services available. :)

3. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I don't know of any way to do a batch like that.

If you did you would probably not get any metadata and, one long track, as already mentioned. I would suggest in your case it's much better to do each CD seperately.

4. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    One by one is the way to go.

If you think its a pain, wait until you see how anal you get about having all the info, album art, etc correct when its on there...:rolleyes:

5. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    When you rip your CDs, do yourself a favour, and rip to a lossless format (wav or FLAC). Save these "master" files on an external USB drive, and re-encode onto your PC in whatever compressed format you need for your player.

This will save you doing what I did. I first ripped everything to 128k mp3, because I only had a 10gb Archos mp3 player, and 300 CDs.
    I then bought a 40gb iPod, and also wanted to play the files on a PC-based system. I had to re-rip everything to 320k mp3 for better quality.
    Now I've got a PixelMagic media player, and 320k mp3 wasn't good enough. I had to re-rip everything to wav.

Ripping is a tedious process, so do it right, and you'll only have to do it once. Re-encoding can be automated, using a program like CDex.

6. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    clockworks, great advice...I'm thinking of going this route myself soon. Tel me though, is there a reason why one might go for wav over FLAC or are they both much the same?

7. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    FLAC supports tagging and album art etc.

8. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I had to go for wav, as my PixelMagic media player didn't support FLAC. There is a firmware upgrade for FLAC replay available now, but I haven't tried it yet.

I got round the lack of tag support with wav by putting all the useful tag info into the filename when ripping (using CDEX). The tags can be created from the filenames, when the wav tracks are converted to mp3.

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Good idea, but doesn't cope with artwork.

10. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    No it doesn't, but I don't use artwork - my media player can't display it, neither can my iPod shuffle (used in the car).

I've got a feeling that iTunes will find the artwork for you when you import the compressed files, as long as the artist and album name are in the tag. It spends time looking for it when I import mp3s into the library, but I haven't tried a player that can display it.
    I could be wrong about this, as most rippers seem to find artwork at the same time as getting the track info (using the CD's TOC).

11. KingOfGondor

KingOfGondor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    another vote for ripping to FLAC

using EAC with MAREO you can rip from cd and encode to flac and mp3 at the same time, giving you a master copy and a media player copy