How do I convert cds into mp3 format for PSP?

Rob20

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a mini disc player that came with pc software to convert cds into atrac3plus, (that should play on my PSP yet don't show up on the PSP mem card), so I was wondering how to convert cds into the MP3 format!?

Do you have the mp3's in the right folder? There should be a MUSIC folder on the PSP memory stick.

I never liked that Sony program (SonicStage, I assume?). Just use Windows Media Player or whatever to create standard MP3 files, and make sure you put them in the MUSIC folder

You create folders by formatting the Memory Stick from inside the PSP menu.

Yeah, have all the correct folders. Have no trouble watching movies, viewinf photo's etc on PSP. Transfer music into music folder but it didn't show up on the PSP itself. Anyway, will try converting into mp3 using Windows media.

I heard that version 2 software 9 (comes out 27th july) will enable you to play atrac3plus tracks. I use dBpowerAmp Music Converter 11.0 (type "dmc" on download.com) to turn my cds into mp3s.

Craigy Boy said:
I heard that version 2 software 9 (comes out 27th july) will enable you to play atrac3plus tracks. I use dBpowerAmp Music Converter 11.0 (type "dmc" on download.com) to turn my cds into mp3s.

Nice one. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Downloaded programme and had converted a cd within 5-10 mins. Just need to convert a few more cds now. :clap: :thumbsup:

Can someone explain to me why when I convert an MP3 album to the PSP's music folder, does it rearrange the order of the tracks? Especially annoying when it's a mix cd that needs to be listened to in a specific order. Any suggestions how to fix this as no matter what I do to correct it, it always reverts back!? :confused:

2 Suggestions.

Name the tracks like this.

01 - Track 1
02 - Track 2
03 - Track 3
etc...

or edit the track number value in the properties of each file

When I put the tracks in numerical order, and even transfer the tracks one by one in the correct order, it still rearranges the order on my PSP!? Will try what you suggested.

Hi,

I'm getting my PSP any day now :thumbsup: does anyone know if i can listen to MP3s and play a game at the same time?

Not yet. Some games (probably GTA) will have this feature.

damn, i was hoping I wouldn't have to carry ipod and psp together!

Cheers for the info!

Rob20 said:
Can someone explain to me why when I convert an MP3 album to the PSP's music folder, does it rearrange the order of the tracks? Especially annoying when it's a mix cd that needs to be listened to in a specific order. Any suggestions how to fix this as no matter what I do to correct it, it always reverts back!? :confused:
Best way to achieve what you want is to create an .m3u playlist file.
You can check the web for the specifics of the file but the easiest way to make one is to used Winamp's playlist editor - drag all the tunes you want into Winamp's playlist editor, reorder them then save the playlist.

The only thing you should be aware of is that the .m3u file will contain the relative location to the .mp3 files so if you move the files around, the playlist may not find it.

Again, the simple solution is to have all the tunes you want in the same directory and save the .m3u to the same directory. On the PSP, create a sub-directory in the Music directory and copy the .mp3's and .m3u file into there.

Enjoy!

Does the PSP support .m3u playlists?

It does support playlists, use winamp or windows media player 10 to create them. I use media tagger (search download.com) to automatically name all my files by tracknumber_track title and have it in an album folder. They then play in the order they should. So like I have a Nevermind Folder, and the first track is 01_Smells Like Teen Spirit. You can also get the album front cover and put it as a thumbnail on the Nevermind folder.

Future games will support custom playlists like the xbox does at the moment. I don't know how this will effect the battery though, as it will constantly be reading from the memory stick and umd. There will be an update soon for wipeout which not only enables custom soundtracks, but also to put your photos on the billboards throughout the tracks.

Hope this helps

Craig

what I want to know is why my PSP reorders the tracks in the first place!? :confused:

*Shrugs*

Could be doing it by alphabetical order since there's no playlist. There has to be an order to the way they are displayed. Since the PSP isn't picking up a playlist, I assume it's just defaulting to whatever SORT BY is the default.

I to am stuck converting my music to mp3 how can i do it using window media player.

Download Itunes. It will let you copy your cds in mp3 format and also has a tool to convert any music on your computer into mp3 format.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom