How do I connect...?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by David, Apr 26, 2005.

1. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought my new Panasonic DMR ES10 video recorder and keen to connect up and start using. Other equipment is:

Pana PW7 screen with scart board
    Thompson DV3 freeview box
    JCV S-VHS VCR
    Quintro+ scart box

I assume that the RF cable will just loop through the Thompson, ES10 and the VCR, but I need some advice on connecting the rest which will be by high quality scart cables (already have them). I assume the Quintro should make it easy but I want to avoid any foul-ups due to macrovision/copy protection circuits and would like the single scart cable from ES10 to Quintro to be bi-directional.

Hope this makes sense and doesn't give the rest of you as much of a headache. :confused:

Thanks. David :smashin:

2. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    If the Freeview box has a VCR SCART which supports S-video (many do, but I don't know the DV3) then you don't need the Quintro. Simply connect a SCART from the Freeview (TV/RGB SCART) to the RGB in SCART on the ES10, then RGB out from the ES10 to the PW7. Connect the VCR to the second SCART on the Freeview box.

Mark

4. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. The Thompson freeview does have two scarts so I could do that, although I'm not sure how I would then connect the VCR to the PW7? It would also mean having to watch TV through one of the recording devices. I think I'm going to have to experiment with this one trying different combinations through the Quintro until I get it right.... unless someone has a very similar set-up and has cracked it already?

Thanks
    David

5. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think I've cracked it. :smashin: Well on paper anyway. :rolleyes: Too late to try it now tonight so will give it a go tomorrow. Have attached a sketch (hope this is ok) in case anyone is interested.
    Thanks
    David

Attached Files:

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The setup you have sketched will work - however I would recommend:

Freeview TV Out >>>> AV2 on the ES10 and then AV1 (or AV3 Component) >>>> PW7

JVC SVCR In/Out >>>> Freeview VCR Out

The disadvantages of this system is that your SVCR will only record in Composite and will playback through your Freeview box. Hopefully this shouldn't be a big deal as you proberly won't use your VCR much anymore :)

The advanatages of this setup is that you can loose the Quintro box and thus eliminate any random aspect ratio switching plus cut down on wiring. It will also mean your ES10 will be available for timeslip at a moments notice.

What terminal boards do you have for your PW7? If you have component then connect the ES10 via that and you will get significantly better DVD playback PQ.

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I agree with Rasczak (which agreed with my post..), no advantage of adding in the Quintro box. The ES10 will pass through the RGB, or if you want you can use it to convert to component.

This is how I have mine setup. I basically have the same boxes, just some are different brands. I have a PW6; Freeview box is Sony, VCR is Sony, and DVD recorder is Tosh XS32. The RGB passes through the XS32 on its way to the PW6. When I watch the VCR, it goes via the Freeview box to the PW6.

I also have a separate DVD player, and that is connected to a component board on the PW6. I had this before getting the XS32.

Mark

8. David

David
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Food for thought there. The PW7 only has a scart board and I wasn't sure how much of an improvement I could expect by connecting the ES10 through component over RGB scart. If you think it will be noticable I'll put a board on the wish list.

At the moment I have about 30 S-VHS tapes (edited camcorder footage mainly) that I want to transfer to DVD gradually so I came up with my set-up as a way of preserving the quality (S video into the quintro, RGB or S video out to the ES10). Once set-up the cables are all behind a unit so changes would need to be reasonably infrequent. However, once I've transferred my tapes I could review the set-up.

So you really reckon the component board would make that much difference?

Thanks
    David

9. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    You will find discussions in the Plasma forum on this... many say the RGB SCART on these Panny screens isnt quite a good as component, often said it is "softer". Personally, no I don't see a difference. I did experiment with having my XS32 connected via component, so I could watch Freeview converted to component, instead of via the SCART. I couldn't see any difference, so I went back to my old configuration. But others say they can see a difference.

Mark

10. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I certainly do see the difference between RGB scart and component from my Sky box via Tosh on the PW7. Lines are more defined, colours are richer, it just looks better. You can get the component boards for about £75 if you don't mind attaching BNC->RCA converters and if you sell the Quintro box that'll help towards payment. The cheapest place I've found is here. The ones with RCA connectors on-board are £150-ish, so these BNC ones are far better value..

I also have a Freeview box that can do both component and RGB and the difference there is even more striking when connected directly to the PW7.

11. GRussell31

GRussell31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just got a DMR-ES10 and I have got it set up with my system, although I am a little dissapointed that it can't get program names etc from Sky.

I have a Sky box (sadly not Sky+) which is set to output to RGB.
    The ES10 is connected to the Sky box and that in turn is connected to my Phillips 32" widescreen TV (not sure of the model number).

With the ES10 on and the Sky on I get a very good picture through Sky. Although when the unit is turned off the picture isn't very good (possible PAL picture?). If I connect my TV to Sky as well (my Sky box has two Scart sockets) the picture also isn't to good, no where near as good as going through the ES10.

I haven't tried doing a recording with the ES10 using Sky's personal planner, but looking at the manual I could have a few problems here when it is connected as via RGB.

Have I done something wrong as it can't get the program names, time or any such detail from the Sky box?
    I don't have an normal TV ariel I only have a Sky, which means I can't get the Teletext stuff.

Any help would be appreciated,

-Graham