1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I connect

Discussion in 'TVs' started by slayer, Dec 8, 2003.

1. slayer

slayer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

As a first time poster I would like to say thanks for all the good advice and sensible posts that I have browsed on over the last couple of months you have all been a big help to someone who is still getting to grips with the whole home cinema experience. :clap:

Now my very newbie question I have a Sony DAVS550 player and I am getting a Panasonic 36” PD30 next week (the only large screen my wife would allow in the house) what is the best way so connect the two. I also have a Sky box that I was just going to connect with a SCART lead but as the Sony does not have SCART what should I use to get the best out of the system and what quality of cables should I go for? Does spending a fortune on cables really make that much difference?

Thanks for putting up with what to some of you seem a very basic question.

PS Hope I have posted this in the correct forum if not sorry :blush:

2. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure of exactly what connections are available on your equipment, but probably....

Sky to Panny... Scart socket... suggest about £30 max. eg. Ixos, Thor etc.
    Sky to Sony... If normal Sky... Phono leads.... If Sky+... Optical Digital lead ( to allow Dolby Digital on Sky Movies). Either way about £20 max. e.g. Ixos or similar.
    Panny to Sony... No real need to connect, if you are using Sky for your TV, but if you wish to connect (e.g. for using analog teletext)... again Phono leads...about £20.

The difference between basic leads and leads at prices I have suggested is a noticeable improvement. Spending more than that would give negligable improvement, and unless you are using mega-top end equipment, is not worth the money. IMO.

Somewhere like Richer Sounds or Maplins should have what you require.

3. slayer

slayer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks

That is just the sort of info I need :)

4. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, happy viewing and listening.

Worth checking this post again though, as someone who has this equipment may have alternative suggestions.