How do I connect to xbox live through my wireless PC?

hotchilidamo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok here's the scenario:

Xbox is currently in the lounge, connected directly to the router via ethernet. Everything works great :cool:

I now need to move the xbox temporarily to my home office which has a PC with a wireless connection to the router.

Is it possible to connect the xbox to the computer, in order to get xbox live? If so, what cable/config would I need to connect to the PC?

Have done lots of searching around but can't seem to find this scenario. Thanks in advance

You can do it. You need a crossover cable.

Once I have one, is there any other config required or is it just plug and play?

Any idea where I'd get one from? Closest place to me is PC world so I'm guessing they'd have one

I believe you have to assign manual IPs to the PC and console. There's a guide here that might help: -

Connecting directly to your PC - Windows Live

EDIT - Just looked on PC World's website. They sell a 6m Belkin one for £35, lol. eBay might be your best bet as you can buy them there for a couple of quid. If you want to pick one up locally, perhaps try an independent computer shop if there's one near you.

Last edited:
Shouldn't need to pay more than £5 or so for an ethernet cable to connect to the PC (assuming you need a new ethernet cable). Do that, ensure that internet connection sharing is enabled on the PC and you're away.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
If the X box is connected to the Router you should be able to connect to it via your wireless enable laptop in exactly the same way as you can see a printer or share files with another computer.

You shouldn't have to trail long ethernet leads through the house. That's the whole point of having wireless.

Often firewalls can be a problem. Turn them off - just temporarily for debugging not permanently.

Go into Command prompt and type " ipconfig/all" that should tell you the macaddress and IP address of everything in your network.

Anther handy tool is "angry IP" for analysing network issues. Angry IP Scanner : Home - IP and Port Scanner Tool for Analyzing Networks

Couple of things.

1. If your laptop has a gigabit ethernet port then a normal network cable should work.

2. Not sure what your online gaming expectations are but your connection will suffer due to the bridge and the wireless segment you are adding.

Couple of things.

1. If your laptop has a gigabit ethernet port then a normal network cable should work.

2. Not sure what your online gaming expectations are but your connection will suffer due to the bridge and the wireless segment you are adding.

I used to connect wirelessly through my laptop using an ethernet cable and a network bridge. Worked fine. I am now hard wired and not really noticed any difference in the online game play. Mainly because its normally a US host anyway.

I've just got another ethernet card for the PC so that I can connect the Xbox through it but I'm having some problems getting the Xbox online. I'm using W7, I've enabled both boxes under internet sharing and from every guide I've read that should be enough but the Xbox still isn't connecting. I've tried the Xbox with automatic and manual IP settings and have tried turning off Windows firewall. Any ideas?

I've just got another ethernet card for the PC so that I can connect the Xbox through it but I'm having some problems getting the Xbox online. I'm using W7, I've enabled both boxes under internet sharing and from every guide I've read that should be enough but the Xbox still isn't connecting. I've tried the Xbox with automatic and manual IP settings and have tried turning off Windows firewall. Any ideas?

Have you tried bridging the two connections? I'm using homeplugs now so don't have it setup but when I had vista I remember i bridged my ethernet and wireless connections and the xbox could reach xbox live. The Xbox was wired to the PC and the PC used the wireless link to reach the router.

I think you just select the two network cards in:

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections

and click bridge.

Have you tried bridging the two connections? I'm using homeplugs now so don't have it setup but when I had vista I remember i bridged my ethernet and wireless connections and the xbox could reach xbox live. The Xbox was wired to the PC and the PC used the wireless link to reach the router.

I think you just select the two network cards in:

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections

and click bridge.
Unfortunately I can't use bridges at uni, I tried and they blocked my internet :suicide:.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom