How do I connect this active subwoofer to my AV receiver?

King Mustard

I have a Yamaha HTR-2071 AV receiver (owner's manual | quick start guide) and a Wharfedale Diamond SW-150 powered subwoofer.

The subwoofer arrived today.

I thought it would have a single RCA input, which I'd connect to the 'Pre Out Subwoofer' RCA port on the AV receiver. However, this isn't the case.

Do I get a cable with one RCA jack on one end, two on the other, and connect the single end to the Pre Out Subwoofer port on the AV receiver and the duel end on the white and red (left side) Line Level?

eb_howtosub-rears2.jpg

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Connect the LFE output from the AVR into the subwoofer's LEFT line level input. Completely ignore the very existence of a right line level input.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
The 2 inputs are electronically connected together inside the sub, so you don't need to worry about connecting to both of them, 1 will do :)

D

Deleted member 24354

You need a single RCA cable or sub-woofer cable with a single RCA connector on each end. Connect one end of the cable to where it says 'pre-out Subwoofer' on the AVR and the other end of the cable to the Sub Woofer to where it says 'Line Level Input - Left.'

Everything that @Mark.Yudkin says is correct but I thought that I would explain it in lay-mans terms for clarity

King Mustard

Thank you, everyone!

What should I set the following?

Subwoofer rear:
Crossover frequency: 35, 45, 55, 65, 75 or 85
Phase: On or Off

AV receiver settings:
Crossover: 40 Hz, 60 Hz, 80 Hz, 90 Hz, 100 Hz, 110 Hz, 120 Hz, 160 Hz, 200 Hz
Subwoofer Phase: Normal, Reverse

Last edited:

Leelo

Set the sub to 85 and phase off set the avr to 80 I assume the speakers are more or less bookshelf type if very small satellite speakers you may want to consider setting that to 120 set phase to normal to start with.

King Mustard

Set the sub to 85 and phase off set the avr to 80 I assume the speakers are more or less bookshelf type if very small satellite speakers you may want to consider setting that to 120 set phase to normal to start with.
It's the Pioneer S-11A-P speaker system, that came with the Pioneer HTP-072 home cinema package.

I've set the subwoofer crossover frequency to 85 and, as I have small satellite speakers, set the AV receiver crossover to 120 Hz and Phase to Normal.

Thank you for your help! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom