How do i connect sky HD box to receiver to enhance pic quality?

K

keenly

I have sky+ but am getting a HD box to connect to receiver(Yamaha 3010).

I will only have 5 HD channels. What connection should i use to enhance the rest?

Obviously HDMI for HD but will the receiver enhance(upscale) the other channels or do i need an analogue connection?

Last edited by a moderator:
You posted about Sky immediately below this request from forum admin not to do so at that location.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/satellite-tv/411852-if-your-topic-freesat-sky-do-not-post-here.html
"HDMI for HD" does look obvious, but a search of the forum, which posters are requested in the rules to do before posting, would have shown you immediately that in fact it's wrong.
The HDMI socket on Sky machines outputs only stereo audio, and only the digital audio output sockets carry 5:1.
There isn't a lot of that on the free channels but it's the standard way of connecting from a Sky machine.
So, you make the connection from one of those two, and if you also connect to the receiver by HDMI for the video then you specify that the type of digital audio takes precedence over the audio from the HDMI input socket.
You don't need separate connections for HD channels and SD channels.

Last edited:
Obviously HDMI for HD but will the receiver enhance(upscale) the other channels or do i need an analogue connection?

The Sky box will upscale non-HD channels to 720p or 1080i (depending on your settings). Whether your receiver or even the TV itself is any better at upscaling the video image than the Sky box is hard to say. Typically the best advice is to try the upscaling features through all 3 and see what gives the best results.

In the past I've heard people saying they get better SD output on Sky boxes from scart as opposed to HDMI. Again, it depends on your TV so just try it yourself.

I didn't take this as being about "receiver....upscaling the video image" at all - they usually just pass it through.

I was going by the OP's thread title, “to enhance pic quality”.

Typically, you'd need to be using a fairly high end receiver to get a decent upscaler built-in to it.

:blush:
I'd say that you'd need a very high end receiver to get any upscaling of video from it.

:blush:
I'd say that you'd need a very high end receiver to get any upscaling of video from it.

Most cheap and cheerful £200 receivers will upscale composite video and component to 1080p these days...

A Sky Digibox is very high end equipment? I've heard it all now
You haven't heard it from me - I wasn't referring to a "Sky Digibox".

Most cheap and cheerful £200 receivers will upscale composite video and component to 1080p these days
That's news to me, though I've not been in the receiver market for a while - and OP was referring to HDMI.

Last edited:
And that's probably my fault as I usually call what other people call "boxes" receivers but this time followed OP and
S B in using the word for an amplifier, that just happens to be a (radio) receiver as well.

Most cheap and cheerful £200 receivers will upscale composite video and component to 1080p these days...

If it's the Yamaha RX-A3010 he's got that was almost a grands worth of receiver when it was in production.

There's an Onkyo that does it, at just under £400, so anything less let us know.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom