how do i connect PHILIPS 32PF7531D LCD to computer

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by benry, Dec 27, 2006.

Tags:
  1. benry

benry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys
    i'm new to this sort of thing so any advise would be gratefully appreciated.
    I have just ordered a PHILIPS 32PF7531D LCD which says you can connect your pc to it, but the only connections i can see on the description are
    2 hdmi
    1 audio dvi
    YPbPr input
    S-Video input
    CVBS input
    and 2 scarts
    which of theese would i connect the pc to.
    Any help would be much appreciated
    thanks

2. drykid

drykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If your PC has a DVI output then all you'll need a DVI to HDMI lead. Then you plug the PC into either of the HDMI inputs. But you'll also need a separate audio lead to connected the sound, as this isn't sent via the HDMI connector.

If you don't have DVI out on your PC then your best bet is probably to get a new graphics card that does.

I should say though that I just bought one of these TVs yesterday and had it working nicely with my PC, but then for no reason the TV stopped recognising it, and nothing I do now seems to bring it back. So I'm not sure I could recommend it for anyone who needs to be able to connect a PC...

3. benry

benry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info drykid....not sure if this is the right lcd so have just cancelled the order. Need to do some more investigating.

4. drykid

drykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    NO problem. FWIW my problems turned out to be due to a bad DVI-HDMI cable (Technika brand), and everything is working fine now. Really pleased with the set.

5. drykid

drykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Since a few people on here seem to be picking these up in the sales, I'd be interested in what experiences people have connecting them to PCs, and in particular what display modes they're using.

I've done some experimenting, and the best results I've had so far are to use 1280x768 on the PC (and then changing the HD settings on the TV itself from "native" to to "fullscreen".) This gives a nice picture, with 1:1 pixel mapping vertically, and no obvious overscan. There's horizontal re-scaling though, which messes up the Windows fonts a little. So far I haven't found anything better, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has, especially if anyone has managed to get something close to 1366x768 working.