1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Connect My Pc To My Tv

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by darkseed, Apr 20, 2005.

1. darkseed

darkseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there guys im a complete newbie and was wondering if this would work!

trying to connect my ntl / tv to my pc so that i can:

1)watch dvd movies from my pc onto the tv

2)watch ntl and record ntl stuff on my pc via my dvd /cd writer.

I have a JVC AV-28X4 tv and ntl samsung box and have a geforce fx 5200 with tv out, does nayone know of the best method to achieve this without spending much?

I thought it was just a process of buying a s video cable and running it from my graphics card to the TV and then a separate RCA cable for the audio from the card intothe TV, is this correct guys?

I am confusing myself!!

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

That will certainly let you watch DVDs on the tele.

Recording from NTL is a whole new ball game. I don't have NTL so I'll leave it for for some other expert!

Dave

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    I don't know about NTL either, but you will definitely need some type of tv tuner card and software to capture the tv in signal on your pc and record it to your hard drive, then transfer to DVD if you wish.

4. darkseed

darkseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will that also let me watch tv on my pc??? from ntl or not?

Im not really too fussed about recording from NTL, but watching NTL on my pc would be cool!

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. You will need some form of capture card or TV/Capture card to do that.

Dave

6. darkseed

darkseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm i think ive confused myself, thought the graphics card incorporated a tv/ capture card because it had a tv out!

they not the same thing (damn im dumb!)

7. darkseed

darkseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so basically i need the cables i described as above and a tv card, any suggestions on a decent tv card guys?

8. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you want digital (Freeview) or analogue?

If NTL encodes it's signals onto a tunable channel (say 68) then you would need an analogue card to receive it. If the NTL box outputs s-video then you can capture that into the card for a better quality picture.

Dave

9. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi darkseed,

You're halfway there, in that you can view your dvd's on the telly using the svideo from your nvidia card to the back of the tv. But you won't have any sound other than that from the pc.

There are a few ways that you can approach this, and we'll tackle the pc->dvd and ntl -> pc as two separate issues.

1) pc->tv
    If your tv has an s-video connection, then you're in business. Get yourself an svideo-svideo cable and you should be able to view your pc on the telly. If the telly only has scart, you will need to adapt one end of the svideo to a scart. Two ways you can do this...

a) get a cable from maplin (part LO3BB) that has svideo at one end and scart at the other. This also has left and right phonos for audio from your pc, so you could buy another adapter from maplin (JK14Q) that adapts from a 3.5mm headphone type plug to a pair of phono plugs - stick this on the end of the phono cables and plug it into your pc speaker socket. Put the scart into your tv. Job done. This will give you a picture and sound from the pc both through your tv.

b) get a standard s-video to svideo cable, and then an adapter such as L85BA from maplin. Plug one end of the svideo into your pc, the other into the adapter unit. Plug the adapter unit into the telly. Set the switch correctly to define input or output. Get yourself a JK14Q and a standard phono pair to phono pair cable. one end goes to the adaptor on the tv, the other to the headphone adaptor, and the headhone adaptor goes to the pc.

If you have an amp, you can buy the necessary cables from maplin to allow you to connect your pc to the amp. If you do this, you don't require an auidio feed to tv. If your pc has digital output and the amp has digital in, you can get a cable to go between the two, but you'll have to look at the back of the pc and amp to determine what you need.

2) NTL->pc
    At it's simplest, you'll need to get a tv card or video capture card for your pc. Then you can simply hook an aerial lead from the output of the ntl box to the aerial in of the tv card and job done. The picture may not be brilliant but it should work ok, and will also carry sound to the pc.

So there we go. Just remember that a tv has a lower resolution than a monitor/lcd on a pc, so things will look fuzzy when showing the pc on a telly. And you may need something like powerstrip to setup a special resolution for the tv out of the pc that is more tv friendly. I haven't done this, so maybe someone else can shed some light on the joys of powerstrip?

Anyway, this will get you started. May cost you about £60 to do this so not that cheap, but it is a start. There are loads of tv/capture cards out there ranging from about £20 to £200. You have the choice of analogue (£20-£30, non freeview) or digital (£60 upwards, with freeview). Then there are dedicated cards such as the sweetspot which will take an RGB input from a scart device, but this will set you back around £200.

Hope this helps,
    Tony

10. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    darkseed,

you really want to decide how much you want to spend. My girlfriend had no telly as she watched tv through an old tv card on her pc as space was limited. To give her some more viewing choice, I gave her my freeview box, and bought a cheap analogue tv card from maplin (the one already in the pc decided to die!), complete with a little credit card sized remote, and a remote eye. I then used a scart to phono cable and connected the scart to the free view box, the yellow phono to the yellow phon on the tv card, and the left/right phono outputs went through a phono to headphone adapter to the audio in on the tv card.

Picture was reasonable and it all worked fine.

If you want to try it out and see if it works, then I would suggest you don't go spending a fortune on everything just yet, in case you don't like the result. There is the argument that cheaper kit will yield poorer results, which I agree with to a certain extent, but it depends what you're looking for really.

I'd go with a cheaper option first and then look at improving things further down the line if needed.

Tony

11. darkseed

darkseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cherers tony, you are a star!

I only wanted to view divx movies etc on my tv instead of buying a designated divx player although i have a feeling that the quality of the movies etc wont be good enough to watch on my tv anyway!

Then there's NTL to PC, ill buy a tv card and run a co ax cable from both and see how good it is! Any recommendations on which tv card to buy or does it not really matter.

Also about the resolution of the TV, mine is a 100mhz TV will that be ok or will i still have to tinker???

Is there any way that i can record NTL from my pc? And also pause live TV??

12. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    There's a difference between a TV card and a TV capture card. TV cards with tuners (even digital) are cheap such as Nebula and BlackGold.

If you want to record from cable or sky you'll need a Hauppauge PVR 250 or 500 or a Sweetspot. Sweetspot has RGB/component inputs and the other MPEG-2 hardware encoding, without which you need an enormous hard drive to record programmes. Unfortunately, I don't think there's one that has both.

13. darkseed

darkseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to give you lot an even bigger headace, want to connect my x box to my lcd scrren as well, any clues what i need, i think i read that i will need a vga box, but can i use the same wires / cables for connecting up my pc to tv etc etc.