How do i connect my laptop to the tv?

DomToretto

Standard Member
Its to watch live streams. I have a s-video lead, well my friend does and he is bringing it around. But what do I need for the audio?

Thanks.

PS, How much are they and whats the best place to get these from.

ash08

For basic sound you could get a jack to phono lead. You should have a jack output from the laptop and a phono input (red and white phono cable) input on the TV...Cable should cost a couple of pounds.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Ed the Penguin

Quick question for you.. What's the telly and what inputs does it have?

Krakin

You could get a HDMI to DVI-D Dual Link Cable rather than using a svga cable. You'll get a better picture resolution and quality. The DVI end would plug into the laptop if your laptop has a DVI out. If it only has a VGA connector out it won't be any good for you though and the svga lead would be your easiest option.

Last edited:

DomToretto

Standard Member
You could get a HDMI to DVI-D Dual Link Cable rather than using a svga cable. You'll get a better picture resolution and quality. The DVI end would plug into the laptop if your laptop has a DVI out. If it only has a VGA connector out it won't be any good for you though and the svga lead would be your easiest option.

Does the HDMI to DVI-D cable provide sound, and how much better would the quality be?

Maplins are like 30quid lol. ebuyer offers saturday delivery for 7quid. So if the quality is noticably better then the svga i will get it?

Krakin

Just like the svga cable it won't do sound, if you've looked at it you'll see there's nothing to plug into the audio card.

The SVGA cable will limit you to about 1024x768 whereas you can go to higher resolutions with the DVI <-> HDMI cable up to the resolution of the monitor. If you're ok with lower resolutions the svga will do, I've used one myself and the quality is good enough for arcade style games.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom