How do I connect my DVD recorder up?

olddevlin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Today I received my Sony HXD970 DVD recorder. I want to set it up with my Samsung LE32R7 TV, and my Sky set-top box (standard, not sky plus).

1) What I really want to be able to do is record something from sky onto my dvd recorder, while being able to watch freeview at the same time.

2) I don't have freeview set up (didn't think I'd need it, having sky) so I also need to know whether I'd be better setting up the TV's built-in freeview, or the DVD recorder's built-in freeview? (I'm guessing the DVD recorder, as that was also give me the option to record freeview while watching sky on my TV?)

3) My current setup.... I have my Xbox 360 connected to the TV using component cables (although I could switch to VGA if need be) and my PS3 through HDMI. The sky set-top box is connected by scart to the TV (not sure if it's RGB...don't know the difference). I can change this setup to whatever is necessary. I don't mind disconnecting the PS3 from the TV either, freeing up my HDMI socket (never really use the PS3 anyway).

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm new to all this, and not very knowledgeable when it comes to AV stuff. :blush:

Today I received my Sony HXD970 DVD recorder. I want to set it up with my Samsung LE32R7 TV, and my Sky set-top box (standard, not sky plus).

1) What I really want to be able to do is record something from sky onto my dvd recorder, while being able to watch freeview at the same time.

2) I don't have freeview set up (didn't think I'd need it, having sky) so I also need to know whether I'd be better setting up the TV's built-in freeview, or the DVD recorder's built-in freeview? (I'm guessing the DVD recorder, as that was also give me the option to record freeview while watching sky on my TV?)

3) My current setup.... I have my Xbox 360 connected to the TV using component cables (although I could switch to VGA if need be) and my PS3 through HDMI. The sky set-top box is connected by scart to the TV (not sure if it's RGB...don't know the difference). I can change this setup to whatever is necessary. I don't mind disconnecting the PS3 from the TV either, freeing up my HDMI socket (never really use the PS3 anyway).

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm new to all this, and not very knowledgeable when it comes to AV stuff. :blush:

You want to have Freeview set up on both your TV and your DVD recorder. That way, you can record Freeview from DVDR while watching Sky on TV. Or, you can record Sky on DVDR while watching Freeview on TV. Or, you can record one Freeview channel on DVDR while watching a totally different Freeview channel on TV.

Connect your Sky box to your DVD recorder using a scart cable between the two. RGB (TV scart on Sky box) is a better picture than PAL (VCR scart), but only if your DVD recorder supports RGB. Connect your DVD recorder to your TV via scart out.

You want to have Freeview set up on both your TV and your DVD recorder. That way, you can record Freeview from DVDR while watching Sky on TV. Or, you can record Sky on DVDR while watching Freeview on TV. Or, you can record one Freeview channel on DVDR while watching a totally different Freeview channel on TV.

Connect your Sky box to your DVD recorder using a scart cable between the two. RGB (TV scart on Sky box) is a better picture than PAL (VCR scart), but only if your DVD recorder supports RGB. Connect your DVD recorder to your TV via scart out.

Ah ok. So my sky box won't be connected directly to my TV at all?

As for aerial, I have to make do with an indoor one. Wouldn't I need 2 separate aerials if i wanted to record one freeview channel (dvdrecorder freeview), and watch another (tv freeview)at the same time, or is there some kind of splitter i can use?

In fact, if I'm able to watch my dvd recorder's freeview while it's recording from sky (I'm guessing that's possible), I won't need 2 'freeviews' will I? I could just hook up my DVDR's freeview, and could always watch Sky or freeview while it's recording the other?

Wow, this is getting complicated, I'm going to need a drink after this!

Ah ok. So my sky box won't be connected directly to my TV at all?

As for aerial, I have to make do with an indoor one. Wouldn't I need 2 separate aerials if i wanted to record one freeview channel (dvdrecorder freeview), and watch another (tv freeview)at the same time, or is there some kind of splitter i can use?

You don't need two aerials for two Freeview receivers. The DVDR has an aerial in and an aerial out, same as a VCR, so you just loop your aerial through the DVDR and finish at the TV. If your TV has two scarts I would still connect your Sky box direct to your TV as well as looping through the DVDR - that way, you can still watch Sky on your TV even if your DVDR is recording something from its inbuilt Freeview tuner.

A lot of this comes down to the quality of the aerial (for both analogue and digital reception). If it's poor, you might be limited to using Sky as your source for all digital television.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom