How do I connect Ipod nano to hifi?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by GarethG, Apr 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. GarethG

GarethG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I am just about to buy an ipod nano and want the option of connecting it to my amp (Marantz SR4200 AV receiver/amp).

I am not after fancy functions or wireless connection etc just want something to sit the ipod in and wire to amp -as cheaply as possible!

Have been looking on amazon and not sure what is compatible, what extra cables are needed etc. I do not need video link or anything.

Ideally placing order with amazon tonight, or as soon as get this clear, for the nano and portable speakers, and would ideally like to order whatever else I need for this.
    Link or model number etc would be really appreciated.
    Thanks
    Gareth

2. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    There are 2 main ways to do it:

1. 3.5mm to phono cable (the cheapest)
    You can pick up the cable at any number of shops they range from £1 - 15, in the case of the ipod I would stick to a cheaper one. Can be bought:

-Online (cheapest)
    -HMV (They do an Ixos for £9.99
    -Dixons/currys (Jvc for about £8)
    - WHsmith (cheapie for about £3)
    -Woolworths (about a fiver)

2. Dock/lineout cable (more expensive)

This will set you back around £15-20 but the sound should be better. Also it will look more presentable and is therefore the recommended option. All the shops listed above should stock them and there are hundreds on the internet.

From personal experience (with other MP3 players) running a cable from the headphone out sounds abit crap, as the signal is already amplified.

3. GarethG

GarethG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for that. Will prob go for the dock, as you suggest, due to both sound quality and being neater sat on the unit.

Does anyone know which one I need for a new nano and whether they come with cabling? Looked on amazon and still not sure

4. penno116

penno116

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hi if you go for the official apple dock, it comes with all the cables and you get a load of different inserts to fit all different of ipods, there will be one in the box that will fit ur nano no probs. not sure about the others

5. Markie Mark

Markie Mark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of going for the Logic3 dock with remote. Seems well priced. Then buy a 3.5mm to RCA cable to connected it to my amp from the dock output jack.