1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Connect DVD Home Cinema to Sky

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Searcher73, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Searcher73

Searcher73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just setup my new Toshiba 32wl56p LCD tv and was wondering if someone could give this novice advice and point me in the right direction on how to connect my Sony DVD Home Theatre to my Sky Box or Tv, to allow me to get surround sound when viewing Sky, and not just when watching DVD's.

The Tosh only has 2 scart sockets, were my old crt had 3, and I used a scart cable that had a set of red/white audio connections attched to them to get sound before.

Do I just purchase a 3 - 1 scart box thing?, or is there another way to connect it using the scart cable with the red/white audio plugs. The only other available connections are PC/HDMI which has red/white audio inputs & MONITOR which also has red/white audio and yellow video above it, I've tried to connect using these by inserting the red/white audio cable plus the scart into my sky box then inserting the other red/white audio connections into PC/HDMI but nothing, also tried MONITOR but nothing also.

I also tried connecting red/white audio connections from the sky box direct to my DVD and got distorted sound, whilst watching Sky, please help, probably something simple but I'm really simple when it comes to this stuff :lease:

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Welcome to the forums, i have moved this post to the all in one systems as i think that your Sony is an all in one. What model is it as this will help fellow members to help with your query etc :)

3. Searcher73

Searcher73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Inzaman my system is Sony DAVSB100 DVD Home Cinema System.

4. Searcher73

Searcher73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone got a Toshiba 32wl56 out there :hiya: you must know what I'm talking aboot then, will the 3-1 scart box work? or am I wasting £15 on it, or is there an alternative way of hooking up sky & DVD home cinema system to my Toshiba (2 scart tele) to receive sound thro my home cinema speakers no matter what I view and not just when I watch a DVD.

5. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I'll give it a stab...

TV>Sky via scart

TV>DVD via scart

Sky>DVD via audio leads (red/white)

Then switch the DVD player over to what ever channel you connected the audio cables to and the TV to the sky channel. Hey presto. :)

I assume you do not have Sky+?

As you are only attaching 2 bits of equipment, not sure why you need a third scart connector?

6. gin-ja

gin-ja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    use the red and white audio out from the back of the sky box and connect them to the AUX input of the new surround sound kit...

gin-ja

7. Searcher73

Searcher73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Conn, tried what u suggested but unfortunately it didnt work, getting distorted sound when sky box connected to dvd player with left/right audio plugs, and yhea I dont have Sky+ just standard Sky Box.

Gin-ja, it doesn't have AUX input at back of my DVD player, will try and post a couple of pics of the back of my equipment and see if thats easier to try and find a solution, it's probably simple, a bit like me and leccy things lol

8. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Hmmm....that should have worked. Distorted how?

And stupid question maybe....but....do none of the instruction manuals explain exactly how to do it?

9. Searcher73

Searcher73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Conn,

The sound was very weak, poor quality and when turned up to the max it wasn’t very loud. However I somehow overlooked the left & right audio inputs on the other side of the LCD, silly me, I blame a nagging wife and 2 wains under the age of 3J.

I plugged the audio lead and the connected scart into the back of the Sky box and the other end into the audio inputs on my LCD and its giving me sound thro my DVD surround sound speakers when I watch council tele now, but still nothing when I switch to Sky.

Previously when its was linked to my CRT I selected video using the function button on my Dvd remote and this give sound on terrestrial & Sky. Now I get sound on terrestrial TV by selecting TV on the remote, which never happened with the CRT, the video option gives no sound at all.

It’s probably something simple, like me when it comes to techie things lol.

The instruction manual is about the size of an instruction manual for a toaster.

10. Searcher73

Searcher73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got it guys, told u I was a complete novice, what i was doing was right I only had to reset my skybox after all :oops: cheers anyway for everyone who replied, cheers

11. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How did you go about resetting the Sky box?

Your not the only novice LOL.

12. Searcher73

Searcher73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just switched it of at the plug switch for 30 seconds, the reason I did this was I remembered I had to do this when I connected my sky to a 2nd tv in my bedroom, must need reset or someit when something new is plugged into it

13. Cupra R

Cupra R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info. :thumbsup: