How do I connect a Scart TV to a component video DVD player

S

SnakeUK

Hi all, I have just recently got a sony 44px2 tv and a sony dav-s880 home cinema system. However I have just realised that my dvd player does not have any scart sockets and my tv doesnt have any component video sockets.

Currently I am connecting the two with the free composite video lead supplied with the Dav-s880. However, I really want to improve the picture quality. I have the option to use S-video but would really like to use component video. Can I get a lead that connects the scart on my tv to the component video sockets on the DVD player. If so where (I need 5m) and which brand/model no.

Also will the quality be of component level or scart level.

Will there be a possibility that the tv can't accept signals into its scart socket from a component video output.

This basic connectivity is really annoying me. The instructions are useless as they only suggest connecting component video to component video or to stick with the poor composite lead. Why the DVD does not have a scart socket astonishes me or why the new tv does not have component sockets is schocking.

At least I know now to check these things before buying in the future.

Please Help as the composite lead picture quality is ****

The KP44PX2 doesn't accept a component signal as far as I know (hence the lack of component inputs), and since the DAV doesn't do RGB, your best option is S-Video.

I cant believe after spending that amount of money I have to end up using s-video:mad:

I see the s-video cables come in all types. Should I go for Scart to S-video or S-video to S-Video.

Ps I see QED do the AV29 lead which has Scart on one end and Component on the other end. Will this cable not work for me.:(

Originally posted by SnakeUK
I cant believe after spending that amount of money I have to end up using s-video:mad:
Well, double check what I said because I was only going on the specs that are up on Sony's site and a few suppliers. I could see no mention of it taking component anywhere though.

Component is far from being a default feature in the UK.

I see the s-video cables come in all types. Should I go for Scart to S-video or S-video to S-Video.
Either, depending on which socket you want to use on your TV.

Ps I see QED do the AV29 lead which has Scart on one end and Component on the other end. Will this cable not work for me.:(
Not if your TV doesn't know how to process the signal, no. It's one thing getting it to take a connection, it's another thing entirely getting it to recognise and process that signal.

I can't find the specs of the dav-s880 on Sony's site. What exact video connectors are on the back?

There are composite, S-Video, Component, and SCART.

That's why I didn't buy the Sony RP, as my DVD player also only has S-Video and not SCART RGB (it's a R1 110v) It's got Component, so I bought the Tosh RP instead.

I've compared S-Video & Component, not much difference.

Originally posted by nathan_silly
I can't find the specs of the dav-s880 on Sony's site. What exact video connectors are on the back?

Features (for the S-888)

Complete DVD Home Theatre System with floor standing speaker and active subwoofer
Total 600W: 100W x 5 100W RMS (10% THD)
Dolby Digital/Dolby Prologic 2/DTS 5.1 ch receiver/RDS tuner
MP3 CD-R playback
Component video out
SACD multi-channel playback
S-Master
Five 3-drive unit speakers with detachable nets

http://products.sony.co.uk/productdetail.asp?id=4_161_2659

Originally posted by nathan_silly
I've compared S-Video & Component, not much difference.
:eek:

Heh. It could be either my DVD player not being the best quality, or my eyes, or my TV. Or maybe there is a difference.. I can't tell. Haven't spent too much time comparing cos I can't be bothered.

And this was with cheap bundled S-Video leads going through the MC-1 (compared to Van Damme cables directly to the Tosh)

I have S-video, composite and component.

By the way if I get S-video to s-video, do I need audio Phono (red and white) leads to get the most out of the sound or will the S-video lead also send the sound signals.

Cheers

By the way if I get S-video to s-video, do I need audio Phono (red and white) leads to get the most out of the sound
Yes. 4-pin S-Video only carries Luminance and Chrominance signals.

Be sure to use good quality cables too, to get the best out of what you have.

If you've got a Davs system why do you need to transfer the sound to your TV?

I find that by using an S-video to Scart cable the picture is pretty fantastic.

Unless you recently bought the dvd you may proffer from getting one with a good review for its RGB on scart, which should be the best picture quality option to you. Many rear projections are not the best for deep/rich blacks and s-video may well highlight this. In all honesty I'm not familiar with your set so it may be ok.
However, what I would suggest in certainty is that you may benefit more from an s-video to scart lead insofar as you won't be literally faced by a lead dangling from the front of your tv - which you will if you go s-s.

Oh and if you are unaware of differences between and/or the benefits of different options, check out this thread
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43445

P.S not being patronising here:smoke:

Well £65 and one week later my QED S-video to Scart cable arrived. With a sense of anticipitation I immediately hooked it up only to discover that the picture quality is not much better if any to that produced by the composite cable.

I dont really know what I was expecting but I thought the use of a well branded cable and adopting the better s-video output would have removed the slight picture imperfections that can be seen when watching some movies.

So either S-video is not any better than composite or the dvd picture is suppose to be the way it is.

My advice folks is to buy equipment that can be linked with a component video cable. I've definitelty learnt this lesson.

Don't worry about SVideo, it can be really excellent

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom