How do I connect a digital camorder to a TV?

DavidLambrini

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Polaroid ID1440 Hi-Def Camcorder, I would like to hook it up to a TV so I can see the output in real time.

Much like a mirror, except I want to see the image not in reverse, but through the TV.

The TV is new and has all the modern connection input sockets, does anyone know how I might do this and what accessories would be needed?

Thank you for your help.

I imagine you got some leads with it you usually do There is probabley a mini jack to 3 phonos (connect via scart.) hdmi probably to mini hdmi. hdmi gives hi def

This camcorder seems to be available from either Argos or eBay (but Argos are the seller) so no good specs listed.
It does list AV out, DV out, HDMI out as available connections, but then states it is supplied with a USB cable :facepalm:

So assuming it does have the HDMI output this would be your best connection to the TV. However it may not be a standard size HDMI socket on the camcorder so make sure you get the right cable if one was not supplied.

Mark.

Just a small addendum - if you have an HDMI cable but not the correct size - you can buy adaptors quite cheaply.

Most camcorders will use the mini-HDMI connector to save space and weight - as Bob++ says you can get adaptors, but I'd go for an HDMI cable with a full-size connector on one end (for the TV) and a mini-HDMI on the other . . . . typically a few pounds (Amazon) . . but don't be persuaded to buy a super-duper one for £20.

If you palce the camcorder above-centre of the TV (or below) you'll get a similar view like a mirror (but NOT reversed) - however, it's not the view we often see of ourselves . . . so it won't necessarily look "right". You'll have to provide lighting and have regard to colour-balance as well.

Do you have some specific application in mind, perhaps?

Thanks for this information I have written it down.

Yes: Combine this with a delayed output of 30 seconds to review tap-dancing routine on big screen.

Perform routine of 20 seconds, wait 10 seconds, and it plays it back. Time lengths amendable.

As yet I do not know how to make delayed output.

I think the connection will be the least of your problems...

You will need a PC with capture card and some custom software to capture the video, hold it for 10 seconds, then play it back. It can be done, but I do not know of anything off the shelf.

Live video delay equipment does exist - but at a cost. Even expensive delay units are only likely to be for composite video etc unless you go to really silly prices. With a quick search I did find some composite video delay units for ~$300us and they went up to well over $3000 but still only for composite video. So if you want to do this with HDMI HD video I think the prices could well be totally OTT - if you can even find something to do it.

One cheap low cost option I can think of is get an old S1 TiVo. Connect the composite output from the camcorder to its scart input and then it will just buffer the input for upto 30 minutes (more with the AltEPG software). You can then just view fully live (well there will be a second or so processing delay) or use the rewind buttons to delay the replay for upto the length of the buffer recording.
The TiVo does have RGBcvS input so you could get a better input into it, but you wont find a camcorder with RGBcvS output so would need to use a video converter of some sort to get that into the TiVo.
S1 TiVo's sell on eBay for not too much money these days. You may find other units that do similar, but any Freeview etc PVR will not have any video inputs as they only record from their built-in tuners. Not sure if you can do chase play with a DVD recorder.

HTH,
Mark.

David - I can see the attraction of having and automatic delay but doubt that the cost and trouble are worth it.

I think that you will have to settle for recording the routine and then playing the clip back. Since it is digital then there will be no delay while waiting for wind back, so just sit down, press the 'play' button, and see what you did.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom