How do I connect 14gauge wire for six speakers into one Sonos Amp?

nobodydifficult

Novice Member
Hello everyone,

I have 6 in-ceiling Sonos speakers that I would like to connect to my Sonos Amp. I am following the diagram that Sonos provided on their website for wiring. The problem I am having is that the 14 gauge wire I used for my runs is too large to fit into the provided banana plugs. I cannot find a solution to this anywhere.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can wire my 6 speakers using 14 gauge wire into the Sonos amp. Thank you.

jamieu

Hello everyone,

I have 6 in-ceiling Sonos speakers that I would like to connect to my Sonos Amp. I am following the diagram that Sonos provided on their website for wiring. The problem I am having is that the 14 gauge wire I used for my runs is too large to fit into the provided banana plugs. I cannot find a solution to this anywhere.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can wire my 6 speakers using 14 gauge wire into the Sonos amp. Thank you.

How about a pair of these?

Last edited:

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
14 gauge is a 1.65 sq mm in the UK.

6 speakers = 3 per channel?
I'd maybe use Wago connectors to wire each 'channel' + (red) and - (black) in parallel if it's safe to do so. e.g. Wago 221 5 Way Compact Lever Connectors 0.14 to 4mm²
3 from the speaker and another to a banana plug.

Stackable banana plugs are available but I'd not recommend them (mechanical strain on the amp).

The car speaker jobs suggested might do it, too.

BUT BEWARE!!!
Check you can safely parallel run those speakers! (What impedance are they?).

The Sonos manual/user guide states
Note:
Amp can drive speakers with nominal impedance above 4 ohms. Two pairs of 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel are also supported. Don’t wire your speakers in series because it will result in poor sound quality.

Note Wago connectors are tool-less operation and grip the wires better than most screw connections (banana plugs included, even double-screw type). They can be used in house wiring connections hidden and maintenance free (unlike screw-terminals).

John7

Use a suitable sized connector block to wire the speaker wires and then take a single wire for the multiple wires to the amp.

Before you do this however, I'd be interested to know what wiring diagram/instructions you have used to work out how to connect 3 x pair of speakers to a stereo amp.

Do it wrong and you risk blowing up the amp. I've looked at the install guide for the Sonos Connect amp, which shows 2 pair of 8 Ohm speakers connected in parallel, per channel (which will present a load of 4 Ohms per channel).

nobodydifficult

Novice Member
Use a suitable sized connector block to wire the speaker wires and then take a single wire for the multiple wires to the amp.

Before you do this however, I'd be interested to know what wiring diagram/instructions you have used to work out how to connect 3 x pair of speakers to a stereo amp.

Do it wrong and you risk blowing up the amp. I've looked at the install guide for the Sonos Connect amp, which shows 2 pair of 8 Ohm speakers connected in parallel, per channel (which will present a load of 4 Ohms per channel).

This is the webpage detailing the 6 speaker setup.

John7

OK, that says if you are using the Architectural speakers it's safe.

What I would use would be 4 x Wago 221 5-way lever connectors

Amazon product
You would connect all the positives from the LH set of speakers into one connector, all the negatives into another.

Repeat for the other three speakers on the other channel. Then, take a single wire from each of the connectors to the corresponding connector on the amp

nobodydifficult

Novice Member
OK, that says if you are using the Architectural speakers it's safe.

What I would use would be 4 x Wago 221 5-way lever connectors

Amazon product
You would connect all the positives from the LH set of speakers into one connector, all the negatives into another.

Repeat for the other three speakers on the other channel. Then, take a single wire from each of the connectors to the corresponding connector on the amp
Yes, I am using the Architectural speakers.

When you say "take a single wire from each of the connectors to the corresponding connector on the amp" ........ does that mean buy new cables and use that to connect the amp to the lever connectors?

John7

Here's a quick sketch, hope it helps....

The connectors are "commoning blocks" You would connect all one channel's positive wires to one, all the negatives to another.

Attachments

• Speaker wiring sketch using Wago 221 connectors.pdf
    194.1 KB · Views: 50

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Howww Much !!!!! Ceiling Speaker Pair | Sonos
Wow, for that I'd expect a man who can to fit them included!

Anyway they say up to 6 speakers per amp so impedance is fine.

Sonos are suggesting inserting wires through the screw terminal and using as a normal binding post connection. i.e. wrapping the wire(s) around the amp post. Crimp or soldered spade terminals might work too?

You could mix and match one/two pairs on spades, one on banana plugs.

Mad that Sonos sell the idea of 6 speakers, promote 16 gauge (1.32 sq mm) or bigger wire and don't have the means to terminate them all on the amp!

I suspect many installers might go with a single cable from the amp then loop from one to the next speaker using the (sprung?) speaker terminals?

John7

I think he's already run all the wires......

Agree, it would have been simpler to parallel wire them "in-ceiling"!

nobodydifficult

Novice Member
14 gauge is a 1.65 sq mm in the UK.

6 speakers = 3 per channel?
I'd maybe use Wago connectors to wire each 'channel' + (red) and - (black) in parallel if it's safe to do so. e.g. Wago 221 5 Way Compact Lever Connectors 0.14 to 4mm²
3 from the speaker and another to a banana plug.

Stackable banana plugs are available but I'd not recommend them (mechanical strain on the amp).

The car speaker jobs suggested might do it, too.

BUT BEWARE!!!
Check you can safely parallel run those speakers! (What impedance are they?).

The Sonos manual/user guide states

Note Wago connectors are tool-less operation and grip the wires better than most screw connections (banana plugs included, even double-screw type). They can be used in house wiring connections hidden and maintenance free (unlike screw-terminals).
My 14 gauge wire is stranded. I've read the Wago connectors aren't so good for stranded wire. Have you had any experience with Wago using stranded wire?

John7

The type of connector I have linked to are fine for stranded wires. They (WAGO) also make a connector with "push" connectors, they are the ones that are not compatible with stranded wire.

Trust me, the lever connectors (221 Series) are perfect for your application. Soldering and heat-shrink sleeving would also be good if you have the equipment.

nobodydifficult

Novice Member
The type of connector I have linked to are fine for stranded wires. They (WAGO) also make a connector with "push" connectors, they are the ones that are not compatible with stranded wire.

Trust me, the lever connectors (221 Series) are perfect for your application. Soldering and heat-shrink sleeving would also be good if you have the equipment.
Thanks so much for taking the time to help me. I just purchased the 221 series on Amazon. Do you recommend I use a 12 gauge to connect directly to the Amp. I'm just thinking about the power that needs to be used to power 3 pairs of speakers. I don't know if a single 14 gauge input to the AMP that then feeds 3 speakers is sufficient. Any thoughts?

dion 6

I had to extend some in ceiling speaker cable and I used wago connectors they do a good job they are certified for permanent electrical connections

John7

I think 14 AWG will be fine.....if it's a relatively short run to the Wago connectors (say, under 3 metres)

If longer, then it won't hurt to step up (or is it down?) the wire gauge to 11 or 12 AWG

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom