How do I clean a CRT screen with anti-reflective coating?

adhenry

Hi,

I just bought an old Bang & Olufsen Beocenter 1 from ~2001 and the screen has an anti-reflective coating (that's not in such great condition). What's the best way to clean the grime and fingerprints off it without further deteriorating the AR coating?

Can I use a mild washing liquid and mix it with some water in a spray bottle and wipe it down with a microfibre cloth or will that damage it more?

Thanks,
Andrew

Solution
Obviously unplug the TV from the power socket and let it sit for a day or two to let the power supply capacitors discharge then use a vacuum cleaner and a small paintbrush gently.

dts

Distinguished Member
Some normal tap water and two microfiber cloths...dampen one cloth with water,then use the dry cloth to dry and polish.

Upvote 0

adhenry

thanks, that worked really well. Next problem is that there seems to be grime and/or mould spores on the inside of the glass, and it looks like the front glass on this Beocenter is not part of the actual CRT, so next part is to find out if that can be removed.

Upvote 0

adhenry

Jeez, completely wet through with sweat after that... So I figured out how to remove the front screen (B&O support UK--In India--told me it couldn't be done, but eight screws proved otherwise), and I've washed that with soapy water/microfibre, and it's now, along with the plastic casing, sitting in the blazing sun to kill off the mould spores that are left. Now that i've got the cover off, what can I clean the back of the tube and the electronics with, apart from canned compressed air, without killing myself in the process?

Upvote 0

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Obviously unplug the TV from the power socket and let it sit for a day or two to let the power supply capacitors discharge then use a vacuum cleaner and a small paintbrush gently.

Upvote 0
Solution

adhenry

thanks JayCee. If i've got an electrically insulated screwdriver (but no insulated rubber gloves), can I ground that to the TV's ground (a screw?) after having unplugged it >24 hrs, and touch the anode on the back of the CRT with the screw head, or is there more to discharging it than that? saw it on YT, think I get it but it's still scary af.

Upvote 0

adhenry

worked well. after 48-50 hrs, touching screwdriver to anode (electrically insulated screwdriver and connected to ground) didnt cause any further discharge. I Could then vacuum the innards, and brush off with a paint brush and it's now nice and clean. canned compressed air didnt do jack squat for cleaning it after that. Can't see any burn out on and caps or other components. Looks good. Now trying to figure out how I can remove the sticky rubber coating on the outer case that's degraded after 20+yrs. Got some isopropanol spray fo cars but it didnt do much... probably not 99%.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom