How do I buy a Steam game as a gift?

nheather

Distinguished Member
I half suspecting the answer to what I want to do to be "not possible".

I want to buy a steam game for someone as a Christmas Gift.

Ideally, what I would like to do is to buy the game, get the code, print it out and stick it in a gift card for them to open on Christmas day.

But I'm not convinced this is possible.

When I select buy, I have two options, 'buy for myself' or 'buy as a gift'.

I've never really taken much notice but I don't think 'buy for myself' will give me a code, it just goes straight to activation - which will activate on my account.

I thought that buy as a gift' would send a code in an email but haven just tried it I am faced with the unexpected situation that I have to select a Steam account and that I can only select accounts for those that I am 'friends' with. I'm guessing that it sends an activation directly to them rather than a code. I do see that I can schedule the delivery - so I could pick Christmas Day I guess.

Is there something I am missing or another way to do it?

Cheers,

Nigel

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Could you not use something like CD keys instead?

nheather

Distinguished Member
My friend is morally opposed to the likes of CDKeys - although I don't share that view and happily use them myself I want to respect my friend's opinion.

Decided that I'm just going to do the 'buy as a gift' and schedule it.

Cheers,

Nigel

aslird

Official sites such as GreenmanGaming and Humble also supply keys, so you could use one of those.

VastGirth

Banned
Official sites such as GreenmanGaming and Humble also supply keys, so you could use one of those.

Deals is a good site. It only searches official key resellers.

I am more than comfortable with CDkeys though. I know its a grey area, but it seems more legit than something link g2a etc.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
My friend is morally opposed to the likes of CDKeys -
But he's not mortally opposed to Steam having a monopoly? Seems strange. Plenty of other CD key sites. You'll only get the key as well, no need to disclose where it has come from.

VastGirth

Banned
But he's not mortally opposed to Steam having a monopoly? Seems strange. Plenty of other CD key sites. You'll only get the key as well, no need to disclose where it has come from.

There is a difference between the key sites.

Some are officially licenced resellers (greenman, wingamestore, etc)
Some allow anybody at all to sell keys (g2a, kinguin, etc).
Some buy a load of keys in bulk(usually from a cheaper country) and resell them without permission (cdkeys, instantgaming, etc)

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
Does steam not still have option to send later? It used to and just puts game in your inventory. Then needs to be sent via friends list

Other than that 3rd party site maybe fanatical or greeman or similar. They all tend to have keys to add to a steam account

aslird

I am not sure, I know they have a gifting function, but having neevr used it I am not sure if they provide a key or just a link to the game.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom