How do I become a mature student

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dUnKle, May 23, 2019.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,965
    Sorry if anything that follows sounds daft or silly. I’m 43. I was never one for education at school and after obtaining my GCSEs I went on and did a couple of BTeCs in computing.

I chose computing as I knew I would find it easy and learned nothing. I then took to the world of work

Now, grown up and “wiser” I want to better myself.

I would love to do a counselling course. I would really like to get a degree in some form of counselling but I have ZERO idea where to start

I can’t go to uni. I don’t drive. I have a daughter and mortgage commitments and I have a job. So whatever I do I would need to do round that. In my own time, in evenings etc and ideally from home via email etc

Also, how would I pay for it ?
    I hear talk of student loans and the like but do they apply to “mature” students.

Again I’m sorry if sounds a silly question but have to start somewhere.

Thanks

2. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47,674
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  3. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    +1. You can do it. Go for it.

I left school with a handful of CSE’s. At 25, I undertook part-time undergraduate studies for 2 nights per week. I paid for 2 modules per year.

As your confidence grows you will want to study more. I now have B.A (Hons), MSc and M.Phil.

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
    • List
  4. Miss Mandy

Miss Mandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,605
    Open University is definitely worth looking into.
    I'm just finishing my first year with OU doing a science degree. I got my finance through student loans, they apply to us mature students as well as the youngsters. I'm 38.
    It can be hard work and it is important you keep yourself organised and set aside time each week to study as it can be difficult to catch up if you fall behind, but it can be very rewarding.
    Otherwise look into when evening courses your local college and universities might do as their courses are usually for all ages.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  5. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,965
    Cheers.
    I’d love evening course but with work and little one and life I think I’d struggle,
    The open university idea is a good one. I’m good in that I can set aside time for things so working from home be my preferred option

I’m still confused on the funding thing and also when I can start. But thanks for suggestions and confidence boosts so far

6. Miss Mandy

Miss Mandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,605
    Depending on your current earnings and as long as you haven't had a degree financed by loans before, you should be eligible for student finance. One you've applied to them and booked your course place with OU or uni/college they'll sort out the money side of things. You'll just get an email or letter each time you choose a new module confirming the finance being applied to the loan.
    The repayments work the same as they do with full time uni, you only start paying it back once you earn over a certain salary threshold and at a set percentage of your income, I think.

Asfor when you can start, the courses are all done in modules so you start whenever your chosen module starts. This is usually late September/early October, but some modules start in January.

7. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,404
    The Open University offer an initial Access Course - a taster option, if you will. This will provide an ideal opportunity for you to sample further education without full commitment.

8. dasduffer

dasduffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Go for it. I did my mental health nurse training when I was 36 and with my qualification it's a job for life. I found the training a chore in as much as I knew I was capable it was just a bit of a grind and more a test of endurance. But if you really want things you persevere.
    Maybe contact the counselling/talking therapy services in your area, speak with one of the counsellors and ask them for advise with regards to the training options available.

Good luck.

9. MIghtyG

MIghtyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,004
    Open university isnt the only option - a lot of universities offer distance learning courses. I studied full time for my Bachelors degree and could have stayed another year to do my masters but wanted to start working.

A few years after I started kicking myself about not doing the Masters course so opted to do a distance learning course, ended up being really interesting as I was doing group projects with people from Qatar, China, Italy, America, Argentina etc. Organising a handy time for a skype call wasnt the easiest but we managed in the end :)

Find a course you want to do and get in touch with the university itself - they will have helped people in your situation before so can no doubt help talk you through everything from what you need to apply to how to secure financing etc.

10. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,965
    Thanks.

And again, silly question, but how do I find out what course there are and what university does them ?

Counselling would be my preferred option just based in various personal and professional circumstances

11. Ste7en

Ste7en
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,310
    Google?

Seriously. You need to get out there and look at what is available. Go to local colleges / universities and ask them. They all have open days.

12. koeman

koeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    Only echoing what people have said but OU is a good option

However, I'd have thought you wouldn't be able to go from Zero to becoming a councillor without any face to face sessions or on the job training. Or at least I hope that's not the case.

Councilling is about dealing with people and situations and being empathetic. Not sure that can be taught over a pc.

13. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,965
    Oh that’s a given and no issue but as id imagine I’d need to take leave or alter days at work to accommodate that I’d need to be able to do as much work that could be done at home in my own time

14. NooBish AbbZ 92

NooBish AbbZ 92
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,905
    Refrain from drawing penises on a mates work :smashin:

15. Ruperts slippers

Ruperts slippers
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,321
    Another for Open Uni here, easy to enrol, plenty of support if needed. Coursework is very linear in fashion with a clear timetable. I'm disciplined so I enjoy the structure, tutors so far have been from Cambridge.