Question How do I become a Jedi after ep 8?

douki

Prominent Member
Reaction score
In ep 1-3 to be a Jedi I would have to follow the Jedi teachings and be formally inducted into the order, first as a Padawan, and then promoted through the ranks.

But then they get wiped out, so this formal route is no longer available. Not to worry though because in ep 4-6 I can also become a Jedi by being fast-tracked by an existing living Jedi master. Great!

So now we come to the new trilogy and here's the problem... following ep 8 it's not clear how I would go about becoming a Jedi. There is no formal route, there is no one left to fast-track me and the Jedi books are gone so I can't even teach myself (if that's even possible!).

This is really important because at the start of ep 7 Max von Sydow's character drops this little bombshell: "Without the Jedi, there can be no balance in the Force."

So where's this Jedi going to come from given that all established routes to Jedihood have now been shut down?

It’s kind of addressed in TLJ. There ain’t gonna be ‘jedi’ anymore, Luke says something along the lines of ‘The Jedi have only ever failed’ ‘let the religion die’. Force sensitive people don’t have to be jedi, Rey/Kylo aren’t Jedi or Sith in the traditional sense.

the only failure is Rian Johnson (and JJ imo) for turning Luke into a failure….
and the Star Wars franchise into a total farce

the Jedi order maintained peace and democracy in the galaxy for 25000 years
yes, they were eliminated by Sidious but Luke had the time and materials (first temple/scrolls) to start to rebuild
Rian Johnson just stuck his finger up at all the core fans....

If you watch TLJ carefully you will see that Luke confirms there will be more Jedi during his “webcast” with Kylo. Also Rey took a little reading on the Falcon with her.

A little less hate and a bit more attention goes a long way.

Everyone can use the force.
It's the equivalent of a school sports day where everyone is a winner.

If you watch TLJ carefully you will see that Luke confirms there will be more Jedi during his “webcast” with Kylo. Also Rey took a little reading on the Falcon with her.

A little less hate and a bit more attention goes a long way.

How will there be more though? Thats what I don't understand. Who's going to teach Rey? She wont be able to communicate with Jedi ghosts because as we know this ability is master level and she's only a beginner.

How will there be more though? Thats what I don't understand. Who's going to teach Rey? She wont be able to communicate with Jedi ghosts because as we know this ability is master level and she's only a beginner.

Luke communicated with Obi Wan in ESB and ROTJ and he was not a Jedi master, he was only a beginner too. I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Luke communicated with Obi Wan in ESB and ROTJ and he was not a Jedi master, he was only a beginner too. I find your lack of faith disturbing.

I see your point however I think he only has a proper two way convo with Obi Wan's ghost in ROTJ and he could be master level at this point. Also he's got the bloodline... so it's more plausible.

In ROTJ he became a Jedi Knight after he faced Vader again. It is clear from what Yoda said that he had to face Vader to become a Jedi. He is definitely not a Jedi Master in ROTJ.

Given her previous form I don't think talking to force ghosts will be a problem:)

In ROTJ he became a Jedi Knight after he faced Vader again. It is clear from what Yoda said that he had to face Vader to become a Jedi. He is definitely not a Jedi Master in ROTJ.

Fair enough, I was thinking that may have been said in Empire but I'm obviously wrong there. Regardless, Luke has the bloodline and has already received extensive formal training from Yoda by this point so we can make his force ghost talking abilities just about plausible even though he's clearly not a master.

Are we in agreement though that the only way to now become a Jedi is via Force Ghost contact? So if you are force sensitive you basically have to hope for a message from the netherworld. There's a great playground scenario for kids... rather than join a Jedi training academy you just sit and wait and twiddle your fingers :D

Are we in agreement though that the only way to now become a Jedi is via Force Ghost contact?

Not at all! There are countless ways they could do this. And if you take the EU stuff into account - even if only Clone Wars and Rebels (like Solo did) - you add things like holocrons and so much more. PLUS Jedi who escaped the cull.

Another way of looking at this is - how did Snoke manage to become such a powerful Sith if all the sith were dead..?

Last edited:
Not at all! There are countless ways they could do this. And if you take the EU stuff into account - even if only Clone Wars and Rebels (like Solo did) - you add things like holocrons and so much more. PLUS Jedi who escaped the cull.

I haven't seen those shows so not sure what those methods are. I Googled Holocron, nice concept, but they are just data vaults and wouldn't be able to assess your learning, ensure you are adhering to the code, or officially recognise you as a Jedi.

Luke was the last Jedi. Unless I missed something?

How did the very first Jedi master become a Jedi master?

I dont see why it matters how the Jedi began in the first place. What matters is how it can carry on without anyone around. Rey could start her own thing, like the original Jedi founders, but it wouldn't be Jedi would it? It would be something slightly different. She would need validation from an existing Jedi for it to be Jedi. That's how I see it anyway.

It matters because the first Jedi became a Jedi without anyone’s (a Jedi’s) help or guidance. Something that you now say that is impossible for Rey. It didn’t stop the first Jedi from becoming a Jedi, did it?

It matters because the first Jedi became a Jedi without anyone’s (a Jedi’s) help or guidance. Something that you now say that is impossible for Rey. It didn’t stop the first Jedi from becoming a Jedi, did it?

Remember Jedi is a construct. The first Jedi would establish the guidelines etc. and then everyone else follows. Now we are in a position where there are no Jedi it means it's not possible to follow the guidelines. What you are saying is that Rey can become a Jedi by simply going around telling everyone that she is a Jedi.

How about one of his last lines in the movie...?

I suppose this line is what I'm trying to makes sense of and the point of thread. Surely you can't just become a Jedi by calling yourself a Jedi.... you need to be trained by someone and absorb their wisdom and then recieve official recognition. How is this possible now?

Remember Jedi is a construct. The first Jedi would establish the guidelines etc. and then everyone else follows. Now we are in a position where there are no Jedi it means it's not possible to follow the guidelines. What you are saying is that Rey can become a Jedi by simply going around telling everyone that she is a Jedi.
That’s what the 1st Jedi did.
Don’t see how Rey’s situation is any different to the situation that the very 1st Jedi was in. If you really can’t see that then :facepalm:

you need to be trained by someone and absorb their wisdom and then recieve official recognition. How is this possible now?
So please divulge who trained the 1st Jedi and shared their Jedi Wisdom with the 1st Jedi?
No one did. ie same situation as Rey.

That’s what the 1st Jedi did.
Don’t see how Rey’s situation is any different to the situation that the very 1st Jedi was in.

Yes she can call herself a Jedi, but (logic dictates!) she won't be a Jedi as per the original Jedi unless she has recognition from an original Jedi that she is adhering to the original code/rules/guidleines whatever you want to call it.

We're going round in circles here and not sure how else to explain it.

Yes she can call herself a Jedi, but (logic dictates!) she won't be a Jedi as per the original Jedi unless she has recognition from an original Jedi that she is adhering to the original code/rules/guidleines whatever you want to call it.

We're going round in circles here and not sure how else to explain it.
So how is that any different from the very 1st Jedi calling themself a Jedi? Which 'original Jedi' gave the 1st Jedi this 'recognition' as a Jedi? :rolleyes:

So how is that any different from the very 1st Jedi calling themself a Jedi? Which 'original Jedi' gave the 1st Jedi recognition as a Jedi? :rolleyes:

The first dude doesn't need to be told they are a Jedi

Rey can start her own thing called Reydi

I can start my own thing called Landouki

We don't need anyones approval

However, if you want to be a Landouki you'll need me or another existing Landouki to recognise that in some way, otherwise you aint the real deal.

So basically this thread is just about semantics :rolleyes:

Not at all. When you are formally recognised there is an assurance that the original principles are being upheld and maintained.

If Rey does not recieve formal recognition then there's no assurance she's 100% Jedi, she could be 80% Jedi, 10% Reydi and 10% Landouki.

This then leads us back to the question of how she or anyone can get formal recognition without the one on one mentoring (and without giving Yoda a piggy back :D).

I think you're slightly reinforcing Luke's point in the movie about the Jedi's focus being too much on the Jedi "religion" vs actually getting out there and helping people (mainly in the deleted scene, mind).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom