• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How do I become a Freesat user?

joemit1

Standard Member
Hi all, I has a quick look at other threads but nothing seems to answer my questions.

Standard TV signal where I live is poor, intereference from car engines, wind etc. I already have a sky dish from previous owners of the house. (one of the smaller type dishes) Am I right in thinking I can link Freesat directly up to this existing sky dish?

I wanted a freesat recorder and it seems I have to adapt my existing dish to do this? Is this correct or is this just for freesat HD?

I'm not too bothered whether I have HD or not, really, I just want an option to record freesat channels onto a hard drive.

Are there any recommendations for freesat boxes. It seems that the only HD recording option is the Humax at around £250. Is there a non HD freesat recorder I can simply link up to my existing sky dish?

Sorry for all the questions, but I just can't seem to get my head around the options!:eek:

Starburst

Distinguished Member
Assuming the dish is aligned correctly and the LNB and cabling is sound then yes it should be fine when feeding any of the Freesat receivers (or generic/sky hardware).

The only Freesat PVR is the Humax and to make full use requires two LNB feeds from the dish, you may need to change the LNB on the dish to a Quad unit if at this time you only have a single output LNB on the dish. As you are aware there is only one PVR for Freesat and that is the HD model meaning a significant premium if you are not interested in HD but if you have a HD telly or intend to replace a CRT soon then a HD source is worth it.

Panasonic are releasing a Freesat Blu-ray recorder with HDD, makes the Humax look a bargain:)

joemit1

Standard Member
Thanks ever so much for your response starburst. I think Iwas getting confused with freeview and freesat, I see the Humax is the only option for a recorder now. I have a HD ready TV so might make the investment.

Is fiitting the LNB a manageable job? If I got a dual LNB, presumably I'd have to have another cable running from my sky dish into the house?

ian-d

Established Member
Don't waste your time with a dual LNB, they aren't commonly used and therefore more expensive than buying a quad LNB...plus a quad leaves you with potential for future expansion without changing the LNB again. You will need an additional cable in from LNB so you have both for Freesat+.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks ever so much for your response starburst. I think Iwas getting confused with freeview and freesat, I see the Humax is the only option for a recorder now. I have a HD ready TV so might make the investment.

Is fiitting the LNB a manageable job? If I got a dual LNB, presumably I'd have to have another cable running from my sky dish into the house?

If your dish is accesible it's a very easy job, disconnect the old lnb, pullout the retaining pin, shove in the new one (use a quad), twins are rare and cost about the same as a quad) , replace the pin. Connect the old cable and add a new cable back to the hdr. Sometimes the extra weight of a quad will slightly weigh down the lnb arm and affect the alignment, in this case a tiny nudge up in elevation will sort it.

Last edited:

joemit1

Standard Member
Cheers ian-d, the quad LNBs aren't expensive either so I think I'll go with that option. I just need to make the decision whether to pay someone to fit it or not! joe.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks Graham, sorry to sound a bit thick but what's a 'hdr?' is that the freesat box?

Apols Foxsat-hdr (high definition recorder) twin tuner high definition sat freesat pvr, Foxsat-HD (High Definition) single tuner receiver only. Both made by humax

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom