How do I add an analog subwoofer to a digital Samsung soundbar?

ucfmotorcycle

Novice Member
I have a Samsung Frame TV and S61 soundbar. They work well together through an HDMI cable and ARC input.

I would like to add an analog subwoofer that I have but there are no analog outputs on the TV or soundbar.

I tried an optical to RCA converter but then the soundbar would not work through HDMI plus there was no way to modulate the volume on the subwoofer other than manually adjusting the amp attached to it.

I also tried an HDMI ARC audio extractor from Amazon but that just didn’t work at all. It seemed like it should. Perhaps someone can recommend one that works with this setup?

I’d like to basically be able to modulate volume through the ARC feature and add an analog output so I can plug in this subwoofer. I have been searching all over for something that I can add to make this work but I can’t.

The soundbar itself only had outputs via WiFi or Bluetooth. Is there a Bluetooth receiver with analog out that could work?

BimboSlice

Novice Member
I'm definitely not sure about a simple way, but I'm trying to figure out if this is at all possible myself. The extractor option definitely didn't pan out for me either, so I'm now looking into the HDFury Arcana. I have no experience with this and am awaiting a reply from the company, but this adapter has an eARC in and eARC out. It also has an HDMI out adjacent to the eARC out.

Theoretically, the soundbar (a Samsung HW-Q950A w/ wireless sub) would still be sending audio through eARC to the TV and to the subwoofer via HDMI out (w/ another HDMI to RCA adapter with ARC support) on the HDFury Arcana. It sounds like it's basically adding in an extractor, but essentially one with ARC support.

Can anyone speak as to whether this setup is possible or if any other adapter would work? This specific soundbar has several inputs and no outputs apart from eARC, so I know that audio would be sent between both the TV through eARC and to the subs via HDMI out on the HDFury Arcana, but does it matter if audio is sent down both routes? Of course I'm unsure if passthrough would work as I'm envisioning it, but the HDFury Arcana is designed to allow for proper device handshake between audio source and TV via eARC/ARC. The added HDMI arc adapter to allow for analog output to subs is another weak link in the chain, I'm aware, but still hold out hope that this could work.

TL;DR -- Anyone see this as possible? If not, I'd love input on how to make use my soundbar with an AVR, as I've had tons of trouble with this setup as well. I know you don't need an AVR with a soundbar, but I would like to have dual subs but haven't had success going the AVR route either. Thanks all.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The HDFury Arcana is primarily designed to enable folk with an ARC enabled TV and an eARC enabled Soundbar, such as the SONOS Arc or Beam (with no HDMI Inputs on the Soundbar), to bypass the TV with a Source which supports uncompressed HD/Atmos audio.

The HDMI Out of the Arcana does not carry audio.

Extracting just the Sub/LFE Output from the TV eARC signal is not going to be possible and any device which can down-mix 5.1/Atmos to a stereo signal is going to be overly costly.

Some AVR's will allow you to pass Video + Audio to a compatible Soundbar so you could connect Source(s) > AVR then AVR to Soundbar + Sub, though if you plan to use the Sub Out of the AVR Simultaneously with the Soundbar you could run into issues with keeping everything in Sync and managing crossover settings.

Joe

BimboSlice

Novice Member
The HDFury Arcana is primarily designed to enable folk with an ARC enabled TV and an eARC enabled Soundbar, such as the SONOS Arc or Beam (with no HDMI Inputs on the Soundbar), to bypass the TV with a Source which supports uncompressed HD/Atmos audio.

The HDMI Out of the Arcana does not carry audio.

Extracting just the Sub/LFE Output from the TV eARC signal is not going to be possible and any device which can down-mix 5.1/Atmos to a stereo signal is going to be overly costly.

Some AVR's will allow you to pass Video + Audio to a compatible Soundbar so you could connect Source(s) > AVR then AVR to Soundbar + Sub, though if you plan to use the Sub Out of the AVR Simultaneously with the Soundbar you could run into issues with keeping everything in Sync and managing crossover settings.

Joe
Thanks Joe. I appreciate your input. I was running into handshake issues when I attempted to go the AVR route, so was hopeful there would be another solution.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom