How do I access all of my music - set up help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by stevofoz, Feb 21, 2013.

1. stevofoz

stevofoz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I have a fairly basic setup of a Denon AVR 2113 with 2 Kef Q50's as fronts, a Kef Coda centre, 2 mission rears and a Rel Q50 sub.

At the moment I am running my sky+HD box, Samsung Blu-Ray, X-Box and iPod through the system linking (via HDMI) to a fairly basic Samsung LCD TV.

The 2113 is connected to my home network via a 5 port hub.

My question is, how can I set up access to all of my music without having to turn my mac on and run iTunes? Is it possible to set up some kind of hard drive that is linked to my network that can be accessed by the 2113?

At the moment I plug my iPhone in but only have 10gb of my 850gb music collection available. It would be great to be able to access it all without having to fire up the mac and connect it via the headphone socket.

As you can tell, I'm a complete novice at this so any help would be much appreciated.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,061
    Install a DLNA server on your Mac and use this to serve audio files to the receiver. Unlike Airplay, DLNA doesn't need you to play the audio on the actual device serving it and you can freely navigate through your music stored on a hard drive via the receivers GUI. PS3 Media Server is a free DLNA server used by many and Twonky is a shareware server that many use.

If wanting to store the files on a drive external to the Mac then look at NAS drives. A NAS drive works even when your computer isn't powered up and most NAS drives include onboard media servers. You simpy hook the drive up to your LAN so that any DLNA certified device can access media files being served by it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  3. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    If you do not want to turn on your MAC then you need a NAS connected to your network that supports a DLNA server, most do in some form. Your amp supports DLNA and you should be able to control it easily - better than trying to use the Denon front display - using the Denon app running on your iphone. all should be explained in your manual, look for media server setup and the Denon app is downloadable from the Apple app store