1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do DLPs compare to LCD and Plasma? which is best?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by hearts, Dec 24, 2004.

1. hearts

hearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Considering getting the 50 inch from Currys SAMSUNG is it as good as Plasma and LCD or should I go for one of these.

2. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    This is a very hard question but as a person who has both a plasma and a dlp set i would like to answer this question with my opinion!! first of all plasmas are great they are sexy and some give a great picture....but most on the market are no where good as a dlp (cheaper plasmas) the only thing they have on them is the size factor.there are other factors like dlp is meant to out last a plasma (but needs bulbs which currently last about 2-3 years) and if something goes wrong with a plasma they are hard to repair although in this country there are probably not many people who know what dlp is never mind how to fix it!! you have to ask yourself a few questions first one is do you want to hang it on the wall if you do then plasma is the way to go. second of all do you think a replacement bulb will be as much as they are now 200-300 pound per bulb (expected to lower by alot over the next few years). as for quality of picture its very debateable but what is a fact is that any Hi Definition set looks awesome when fed with a hidef feed!!! so in my opinion if value for money is an issue then DLP hands down but if money is no object then plasma hands down!!!(but only top ones capable of displaying hidef)

3. hearts

hearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  4. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hearts,
    Having seen the two links, i do not believe them to be true comparisons. Firstly for the money you have to spend on the samsung DLP, the currys guys should have compared it to a
    Pioneer 435 Hi Definition Plasma or a Panasonic. Panasonic and Pioneer having some very good Hi Definition Plasma's.

As for DLP's, well again i believe Curry's have given you their most expensive unit as a choice for Hi definition or quality.

There are some very good DLP TV's currently in the market.
    Having read the Plasma forum pages for almost 6 months, i came to the conclusion that PLASMA is still too expensive for the High quality I and am sure You are seeking.
    DLPs, on the other hand, well, I saw the first DLP with HI DEF material about 4 weeks ago, and was stunned as to how good it is.

I have now come to the conclusion that my requirements are as follows and DLP suits them all.

DLP is cheaper than plasma for what you get like for like
    DLP HI DEF is more impressive than PLASMA, from what i have had demoed in last 6 months.

Sizes are bigger for the money on the DLP against PLASMA tv's.

Dont get me wrong, I am still a BIG FAN of plasmas, as there are some stunning plasma units out there, but I have found more connections, a much cheaper price, better image quality and larger size,,,,,, far more appealing to my wallet, than plasma can offer at this time or for some forseable time.

As Welsh has pointed out in many threads,,,,, believe your own eyes, and have a DEMO first.

Hope this helps.

5. Phil Harris

Phil Harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My brother just arrived to spend Xmas with us. He has a Panasonic 42" plasma, he couldn't remember the model number but it was brand new in August. He seems to think it cost him £3800 including some fairly ordinary audio stuff.
    We watched a dvd on my Sagem Axium with £300's worth of eBay amp and speakers, and a 5 year old sony dvd player.
    There is no doubt that he was amazed by the picture quality on the Axium, he described it as sharper, and with much better colours.
    In fairness I have not seen the plasma he has, but it certainly reassured me that I had made a very good choice.

Phil

6. hearts

hearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Maidstoneman and Phil.

MSMAN the comparison was of my making. I was trying to show what I could get for the same money as I have been offered the DLP that I gave the link too for £1700 and I was just doing a comparison on price when I gave the link to the Plasma which is the same price although I would have to buy a stand and other things for the Plasma. So what I was asking was should I go for the DLP which I gace the link to which I am getting at half price or go for the Plasma at the same price ( not half price)

7. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pricewise you get more for your money by going DLP than plasma.

No questions asked, DLP all the way.

However not all people want a big box in their room or have the possibilities to have other people around helping them out when they want to move the beast in a room or something, thinking of the Samsung L7HX which is a real beast to move, no wheels and a fragile glasstand which makes it hard to move yourself.

Plasma is easy, you can lift it yourself and move it yourself, doesn't take much space at all, gives excellent pictures if you buy a highend model and the list can go on and on.

8. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When it comes to your situation there are no choices, that is a steal deal you get, £1700 for a Samsung L7HX is a great deal.

I can't beleive you are even considering getting a plasma in that price range!

Just buy it and be happy as it is a good DLP, a very good one that will blow any 42" SD panel out of the water.

I saw you were looking at a Samsung 42" plasma, don't think about it, you can't even compare those two.

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    What do you mean "no questions asked" ?

The questions should be :

1. Will I need a replacement lamp @ £200+ every 2 years ? (Look carefully at the warranty before you tell me that they last 2000 hours !)

2. Will I suffer from the "rainbow effect" ?

3. How will I get the optics cleaned when they get dusty and infected with insects ?

4. How will I drown the noise of the fan and the colour wheel ?

5. Can I live with a limited viewing angle ?

Now plasma and LCD screens are not perfect either, I agree, but there's too many people here inferring that everything in the DLP garden is rosy, because it's not.

10. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there Nick,
    I can see your point of view , however, having seen several demo's on the Plasmas, SD and Hi Def, and taken into effect Plasmas , noisy fans, pixelation, burning on screens, i have taken another route and investigated DLP's.
    I believe that lamp costs will reduce in 2 to 3 years time. Rainbow effects are still an issue but you can read several threads on the new DLP's and the rainbow issue seems minimal to the extreme.

At the end of the day, its each to their own. However, I would ask anyone, to take a demo, put their importances first and take note of every technologies advantages and disadvantages.

11. Carl_Docklands

Carl_Docklands

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah i agree with some of the replies. My panny has been relegated to the bedroom as, personally i think plasmas are really utility displays and not really designed well for home cinema. The plasma that i considered on par with the tosh dlp at the time of purchase feature and picture wise was the 50inch Pioneer HD plasma set.

I also had a look at the latest 37inch Sharp LCD, i was impressed but baulked at the five grand admittance fee.

If you have the space - DLP, if not, well it was always going to be a plasma/lcd :D

12. aaeon.1

aaeon.1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    having both myself i have found the following

i originally bought the plasma as there were no dlp,s on the market in australia when i did so
    having kids the paranoia factor set in
    that being
    1 dont go anywhere near the thing in case you knock it over
    2 no you cant play your games on it as i know you lot and someone will leave it on pause and i,ll get burn in
    3 always telling them not to watch cartoon network all day as the logo might burn in to the screen and them telling me they wouldn,t and when i left for work and then got home it would still be on the same dam channel so all night i would sit there and convince myself that i could vaguely see the logo had began to burn into the screen (which it hadn,t ) and blaming everyone for it
    4 knowing that they only have a certain life span and me coming home to find kids and wife out in the garden and the only thing vaguely looking at the plasma was the dog

with the dlp
    first of all i didn,t know what the hell one was but had to go make a payment for something the wife had bought one day when i see this huge screen in the store and the picture quality was fantastic

i walked over to have a better look thinking that it was one big mother of a plasma and start talking to the sales guy who says great isn,t it
    i agree and says that is one big plasma screen
    he replies nah mate this is a dlp and then shows me the back of it
    and i say so its a rear projection then and says well sort of and tells me all about it and how its the next generation of television
    i thought he was only trying to give the sales pitch and i said how can that thing beat the compactness of the plasma and tell him that i have one and am very happy with it

he then goes on about picture quality life spans costs of bulbs and burn in and everything that i have had concerns about and then gives me the price on one and i nearly fell over
    then he says well if you want one you can have this demo model at a heavily discounted price as they haven,t sold one yet and its been in the shop too long
    the price is 2500.00 cheaper than what is on the price tag and i,m standing there umming and ahhing and thinking bulb price versus price reduction and then trying to convince myself that i dont need it but by now i wanted it
    so i says well i dont want the stand it comes with as i have just had a stand built for the plasma that houses everythong in it and i like it and as for the high definition digital terrestial box it comes with i already have three and dont want a fourth
    off he goes and then comes back and says alright we,ll drop another grand off it
    by now i really want it
    then comes the crunch
    we,ll give you three years interest free and we,ll deliver it today
    yes just jumps out of my mouth followed closely by get the paper work
    all i had to do now was tell the wife what i had done it took about a week but she calmed down and now like sit much more that the plasma
    and the plasma looks great in the bedroom and we gained much more room in the bedroom and it only gets used once or twice a week in there and i,m much happier

and to top it off the optical generator goes and chucks it in and when they replaced it under warranty i got a new bulb with it as well so the internals are completey brand new as well now so i am very happy with my dlp

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Errr.... not really ! Back projection TV's were in use back in the 1950's (although not DLP). And they suffer from the same problems with deterioration of the optics now that they did then.

14. Muffminer

Muffminer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Every post ive read of yours is putting down DLP tv's, maybe just cause you've got a Plasma but in my eyes i see they are both equal. I have had a plasma in the past, and the picture at times was awful - had some trouble when very fast movements on screen. So when my mate got a DLP i went and had a play and in my opinion its so much easier and cheaper to get a great picture from the DLP than on the Plasma.

But i agree on the lamp life, but i play alot of games and have channels on that have logos on for long times. So i didnt want to worry about screen burn which thankfully DLP doesnt suffer from. Though for pound for pound ill still go for DLP.

Im getting my Tosh DLP tommorow so ill give a statement on it when ive had a play.

15. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Not true. I own a plasma TV, but I also own a DLP projector, so I know both technologies. As I've said before, no technology is perfect, and you have to go in with your eyes open. As I've also said before, as a DLP lamp costs £200+, and will only last 8 months @ 8 hrs/day usage, I can buy a new plasma every 5 years and still be in profit, so I don't see how you think it's cheaper.

16. Muffminer

Muffminer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I knwo where your coming from but to get picture quality from a run of the mill plasma to get to or same as a dlp for same price is gonna be abit difficult (this is in my experience) i bought the tosh for £1600 and looking at plasmas i would be having to spend about 2k+ to get a really nice plasma size/picture quality. So £200 a pop is gonna add up to about same or over, but once you've replaced bulb its gonna be back up to near new picture quality, where as the plasma over time is gonna go dimmer and dimmer.

But these are just my opinions, i may be biased as i have a dlp but i looked at pro's cons and for my use and needs it was perfect.

17. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Nick UK...

Where on earth are you getting the 2000 hour life for DLP RPTV bulbs from?

I have never seen any manufacturer state a lifespan of 2000 hours.

The Axium bulb is rated at approx. 6000 hours, and I'm certain that I've read that the Toshiba bulb is rated between 8000 and 10,000 hours depending on how you use the set (its got a daylight and a night mode).

Ok, so bulbs are an expensive consumable - but once they're replaced, the picture is as good as new.

T.

18. Phil Harris

Phil Harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seemed fairly obvious to me that the guy was not claiming rear projection to be new, but the DLP element.

I have yet to see anyone mention deterioration of optics here yet. I have optical equipment made in the 1930's which still functions perfectly. How exactly is it supposed to deteriorate?

I cannot hear the fans on my DLP, not even standing unnaturally close to it.
    As for bulb life, Sagem quote a "generally observed" lifespan of 8,000 hours, where did this 2,000 hour figure come from?

Phil Harris

19. aaeon.1

aaeon.1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the lg i have says the bulb life is 10 000 hours

20. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    How unnatually close? I know their nice things but really.... :laugh: :devil:

21. Andyuk911

Andyuk911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    One little question I have...If the source is Sky, will the actual picture seen appear better on a DLP TV than on a Plasma ?
    Thanks

Andy

22. mdekkers

mdekkers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't know specifically about the lamps used for projectors / RPTV etc, but most professional lamps I used to use (used to be a lighting designer) come with a warranty. If they underperform, they will be replaced. This is measured both in time - i.e. a xenon-arc lamp for example that is rated at 3000 hrs that would fail in say 2000 hours would simply be replaced for free. That is why most vapour discharge lights in professional lighting appliances have time-counters on them - to log the hours of a lamp.

I am looking at buying the Tosh - thanks to you guys here in the forum giving excellent critiques - and I know I will be logging the lamp hours. if Tosh rates the lamp at 8000 or 10000 hours, and it lasts significantly less then that I will be replacing it under warranty.

23. Carl_Docklands

Carl_Docklands

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick - I also have a panny plasma and i am finding that for all types of viewing the tosh is superior in almost every department, general tv viewing especially.

Yes there are lamp costs but my average use on my tv will be about 3-4 hours a day and not 8.

Plasma for the bedroom, DLP for the living room i say! :D

24. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You've never seen a piece of glass that gets dusty or dirty ? Where do you live ? In a clean room ?

There isn't a mirror made that doesn't dull with age.

Also, I have yet to see any warranties made by DLP TV manufacturers on lamp life. Sagem say that they have an "observed lamp life" of 8000 hours, but both Tosh and Sagem fight shy of mentioning any warranties on the lamps. Owners of DLP projectors have had "2000 hour lamps" fail at 500 hours, and the manufacturers didn't want to know - see these forums for the actual posts.

25. Phil Harris

Phil Harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

26. Sir_Baron

Sir_Baron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also going by the lamp usuage thing, i got 4 years insurance for my Sagem Axium 50" and its bulbs also get covered. I doubled checked and even the people at comet said they do. So if they fail under 8000 hours of use (i use my tv a few hours a day) i'll simply get them to replace the bulb free of charge.

Plasmas are good but dlp are better for price to performance £2000 DLP looks alot better then a £2000 plasma does.

27. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You don't seem to speak for everyone in this forum.......

Seems to worry him ! By the way, DLP lamps decrease in brightness as they age too.

I'm not sure that you will know how well your 1890 wardrobe mirrors were performing when they were new, unless you happen to be at least 120 years old :laugh:

28. Phil Harris

Phil Harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The quote you chose to use actually illustrates my point slightly better than yours.
    It might be worth your while reading it again
    What can you do to revive a tired plasma screen?
    Answers on a postcard please....

29. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi Phil,

Perhaps we should follow in the footsteps of that great book "101 uses for a dead cat", and start a new thread, "101 uses for a knackered, burned out Plasma".

First use - turn it over so its screen side up, drill large-ish holes in each corner, and also mid-way down each side, and use it as a funky pool table.

Hours of fun for the kids.

T.

30. Phil Harris

Phil Harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now thats an interesting idea Tony....
    It did occur to me that with the simple addition of four wooden poles, (brushed aluminium for the style conscious of course), they would make a lovely windbreak for that day on the beach.....

Phil.