• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How do current speakers compared to newer models?

De1l

Standard Member
Hi all,

I currently have a 4.1 setup ( soon to be 5.1 ) consisting of B&W 602.5 S3's at the front, some old Kef Cresta bookshelf's at the back and a custom sub.

For the last few months ive been planning on buying some "new" rears and a centre to match my B&W's.

I realised today I must have had my B&W's for getting on for 10 years! So my question is really how much have things come on in that time?

Ive been looking at the Q Acoustics 2020 & 2050s, they seem to have some very good reviews ( and my wife approves of the looks :) ) They look about the same price new ( maybe even cheaper ) as the 2nd hand B&W's ive seen..

How would say the 2050's & matching centre at the front & 2020's at the rear compare to my current kit? Would I be better sticking to my original plan?

Obviously an audition would be best but I thought id get some opinions too.

Thanks a lot for any advice!

P.S. I forgot to mention these are being run off an Onkyo 875 if it makes a difference.

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Your current speakers are I suspect going to be better than the QAs. If the B&W are the same price second hand as the QAs new it kind of tells you about the quality of the 2. Speaker technology does not move particular fast so a good speaker 10 years ago will still be a good speaker now. I personally would not replace your current speakers with the QAs.

De1l

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply PSM1, that makes sense if progress moves slowly, I was kind of hoping that wasnt the case & I could grab myself a bargain and an improvement at the same time :)

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom