• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question How do 2 way lights work with smart light switches?

techno79

In the non-smart world, I know you can have two mechanical switches that can control the same light. Also in the non-smart world, you can also have one of the switches changed to a dimmer switch that has the ability to click the dimmer on and off. Obviously, you wouldn't be able to control the dimming on the other side.

I'm looking at smart light switches that can allow a single light to be controlled by two switches. My question is, in this new smart world, can dimmer switches be used on both ends? What are good brands to use for smart dimmer switches?

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
I would highly recommend Shelly 2 Dimmer, which is a module that goes behind a standard light switch. They can be used with 2 way switching and also if you use a standard centre off retractive switch (think blind type switch) you can dim at the switch at both locations as well.

Diagram for 2 way switching with retractive switches

1600015908200.png

1600015933947.png

Also with standard toggle switches

1600015999856.png

1600016026251.png

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom