1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How difficult is 5.1 surround from HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by meep, Apr 26, 2002.

1. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi all,

considering building HTPC but have read vauge comments like "sound is dodgy with HTPC"

i want to have an internal dvd drive in the PC but pass the audio signal to my receiver (has optical & digital inputs) which will handle decoding and amplification to a 5.1 speaker setup.

What's the best combination of soundcard/software to acheive this in the simpliest fashion?

Many thanks

Peter

2. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As I understand it, you can use any old soundcard that has the output - cheap soundblaster etc, but to get best sound, you need to look at something like an M Audio Audiophile 2496 (£149) or MAudio Delta 410 (£189) - the latter has analogue outputs too, so if you wanted to use your PC to process you could do. Usual price on the 410 seems to be £249, so £189 from http://www.millennium-music.biz/products.pl?subcategory_id=SOUNDCARDS seems good value - think I'm veering that way.

3. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    continuing with the research I've comeacross the Radeon 8500DV (AIW)

This seems to be a perfect single card solution for TV/S-Video capture, DVD playback, audio out to receiver and video to projector.

Am I right or am i missing something? Will this single card, a DVD drive and some software be all I need to get up and running?

Thanks

PM

4. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can you provide some links to the sites that have the above comment?

5. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Branxx,

Sorry, no links saved. It's just that 've been reserching the topic for a few weeks now and came across comments like this. The negatives tend to stick in ones mind. Thought I'd post this query here to get the expert opinion.

Anyway, took the plunge on Saturday and bought all my HTPC components. Went for Sb Live 5.1 as a starter card. I'll see how that works out and may upgrade in future.

Now, if only I could find the cable to connect Sb digital out to my receiver for external decoding. Creative docuemtation on this is woefully inadequate.......

6. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Unfortuantely, its not as simple as just buying a good sound card, there are many variables includeing drivers, software DVD player and OS not to mention the other components that could still affect it like PSU. I wasn't quite happy with the sound from my latest DVD player so yesterday I went back to my original Event setup and the sound was miles better. The only difference between the 2 setups is software.