1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How different are oxygen free scarts?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by SyG, Apr 27, 2005.

1. SyG

SyG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only got 21" RGB-compatible TVs in my house. I use gold-plated scarts but how mch difference will oxygen free copper ones make?

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,462
    Depends on source equipment, display and how good/bad your current cables are....and finally, how good your eyesight is!

Your best bet, is to try some more expensive cables, and see what happens.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I can't believe using OFC in the conductors would make any difference as the scart connector isn't exactly the best around for high quality connections although it is undeniably versatile.

Ensuring that the overall construction is of suitable standard would be a better direction to go in my direction rather than focussing purely on the conductors. Make sure that the connectors are of good quality, that at least the video and audio conductors are individually shielded, that the video conductors are as close to 75ohms as possible and perhaps that the whole cable construction is shielded overall. :)

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Absolutely none. You might, however, get some improvement from other features to be found in higher-quality cables, e.g. termination and shielding. In particular there's a lot to be said for a SCART cable where each audio or video wire is individually shielded from all of the others.

My father owns a 21" Panasonic TV which is somewhere between 13 and 15 years old (we can't remember exactly). He recently found that there was a very visible difference between an old "bog-standard" SCART cable and a Philex Thor cable (£18 from www.play.com). The difference between the Thor cable and anything significantly more expensive than that would (I suspect) be very hard to see on a TV like that.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    groovemeister

OFC or not your most likely to see a visible difference if you TEST out an 'RGB Only' cable - these use thicker conductors for the video lines; though you loose WSS.

Best regards

Joe.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Not true Joe, we discussed this a month or so back. What you certainly lose is automatic input switching in some models (although this signal often does carry the WS signal) it's also encoded within something like line 58 of the signal. :)

7. SyG

SyG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks for the advice!